What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

and the fun starts.....

my oldest stepdaughter, Kate, hurt her knee in her basketball game Saturday night.....after she got back home i evaluated her(least my experiance with screwed up knees is worth something) saw nothing that indicated i needed to haul her to the ER as the one here wouldnt be able to do anything for her, so she stayed laid up on the couch for the rest of the weekend.....in her description of how the injury happened i really doubted that her ACL had torn......she definatly did damage but i was pretty sure she just bruised and maybe tore the meniscus

we hauled her the 50 miles to Glasgow this morning instead of to the local doc cause Glasgow has an MRI and we dont so to make things go along faster we just skipped the family doc who woulda sent us to Glasgow anyway....

saw the regular doc there....he sent her to x-ray and than to the physical therapist to get her crutches adjusted for her....doc came into the physical therapists office and told him you need to see the x-ray before doing anything to her and he said the orthopedic surgeon was looking at it as they were talking aswell....oh great.....they told Kate her tibia had a fracture in it and she had a appointment with the surgeon in 10 minutes....

surgeon walked in and the first thing out of Kates mouth to the surgeon was if she was gonna be able to play basketball on Thursday cause they were getting ready to beat up on Glasgow( :D ).....surgeon said, "You most definatly wont be playing on Thursday, your gonna be flat on your back recovering from the surgery your gonna have on Wednesday."

i was right her ACL did not tear!......turns out there is a short window after the growth plates fuse in your knee where the ACL is actually stronger than the bone......she managed to rip a whole chunk of bone out of the top of her tibia....so thats the bad news.....

good news is this is about the only ACL injury that has an excellent chance of healing completely because the ACL is not hurt at all.....just gotta get the two pieces of bone to fuse back together....good news is the surgeon in Glasgow actually has experience with fixing this injury....apparently its a really rare injury because the window in which it can happen is only open for 6 months or so....he will go in, likely be able to screw the two bones together, clean up the blood clots and the like from the area, repair any tears to either meniscus sow her back up and she is not to put any weight at all on the leg for 6 weeks.....

no more sports this year but she should be good to go for volleyball in the fall again....

oh wow rattler, sorry to hear about that....im no stranger to knee injuries but damn that one is intense....made me shutter, i hope all goes well with your stepdaughter.

Oh wow. Sorry to hear that. I hope she recovers quickly.

Ouch. I feel for you.
My step father pulled his upper bicep completely off the bone last year.
All he was doing was raking pea gravel level.
They screwed it back on the bone and it has since healed near 100%.
At least she has youth on her side and bone heals relatively quick.

I didn't know you were married, much less with stepchildren? When did that happen? I thought you were just out of high school..... But I have been absent for a while until recently.

must be thinking of someone else as i was 21 when i found this site......been with Darla for bout 8 years, married for 3 and a half.....

No basketball; -or sports- for 6-7 months, bummer.. ;[ I'd die.

Fun fun fun!! I am currently 6.5 months post-op for my second torn ACL. Tore righty on June 9, 2008 and tore lefty on June 8, 2009. Surgeries were July 24 and July 23 respectively. It took me 9 months to get back on the field the first time, and for this second rehab I'm currently able to run and jump but not quite ready for sports yet (I'm an ultimate frisbee player).

The fact that she'll be able to heal completely is very lucky... but I don't think I need to tell you to have her take it easy and do what she's told as far as rehab exercises. Trust me, this is not an injury you want twice!

Is she going to need much physical therapy?

How it all go today?

just got home.....surgery went very well.....he was able to fix it the way he hoped, one screw.....its back in place with less than a millimeters difference......absolutely no damage to either meniscus at all which surprised the hell out of me....she is on the couch resting comfortably but the nerve block is set to wear off sometime between midnight and 4 am and she aint gonna be a happy camper....

Good luck to her! Wear a brace for as long as they tell you, and when they tell you to take it off, don't be afraid to do so.

Back