Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hooking up a balast 101

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pea brain just as i thought LOL, That's so cool.
    It pretty easy to entertain me
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, nahhhhh.... very few of my students ever answer it correctly

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so went to Lowes and talked with the electrical guy who was HUGE help. I ended up giving up on the light socket since I wouldnt be able to have the light turn on and off (it's a closet light so there's no switch) or have it on a timer. I ended up hooking it up through an outlet. I basically took an extension cord, cut the female end off and stripped it down to the wires to expose the white, black and ground wire. I cut a piece of the cord off and stripped both sides so as to connect both ballasts. Plugged it in a voila!
    Looks like....well a make shift setup but as long as it works and it's not a hazard...dont care.

And here is the finished setup. Those of you that have 6 bulbs T5 setups, are the plants on the floor too far from the fixture or will they be getting plenty of light? I figured with 31,000 lumens that distance would be acceptable

So did I pass Av8tor1?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Yann, I would ground that connection. It looks like you just cut off the ground wire (green) and left it exposed. Nice light btw.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ummmm, you need to ground first. Secondly, Im not familiar with those connectors... are they made to just slide the wire like that (Im guessing yes), or did you kinda cram them in?

I know recepticals usually have places for that... but never used those before so I dunno... Ive not wired a house in many moons and my fixtures didnt have those.

actually french, you need some help mate... that plate on the light has a punch out (circular), you need to get a box adapter to clamp the wire with and protect it from strain and chafing

and the clear tape...

the ground wire is ubber major though

Ill take some pics for you tomorrow k, for right now be very careful... it works and that is something to be proud of, but you have some major safety issues

Av

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

look here: http://www.sealconusa.com/romex.htm

here is one a lot of people use: http://www.galesburgelectric.com/Bri...rs-w-K.O..html

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    Those of you that have 6 bulbs T5 setups, are the plants on the floor too far from the fixture or will they be getting plenty of light?
    For neps it might be alright.... However, for best color and growth I would decrease the distance by about 1.5-2.0 feet and use that as a starting point.

I keep my neps 30-36" from mine with helis being the closest at 6-9 inches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya I did have a question about the ground wire, I stripped it and was going to insert it but there are no spots to insert it like there are the black and white wires...
    The plugs really are for sliding the wires in, they dont secure or anything...hense the clear tape :S

The directions do say to punch out the circular plate since the wires barely arent securely attached to the plugs I really dont know how to go about it without displacing everything. I'm going to see what I can do about that ground wire tonight, if I cant figure it out I'll just leave it unplugged until I can figure out how to do right.

I certainly wasnt expecting such a mess when I ordered this...

Thank you all for all the help and links.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not a biggie, you just haven't done one before... just place the green wire under a screw on the fixture so it clamps it against the fixture housing.

ill take some pics tomorrow, I'm in Ky too French so i can send ya what you need... no worries mate, we got your 6 covered

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

see the circular areas in the cover plate that you have open. Those are "knock outs", they are designed to be removable for the wires to run through. That way you don't have to leave the access panel open and you can use stuff like those strain reliefs that i sent to links of.

Does that make any sense?

Kinda hard to explain, but once you do your first one then its a "duh, that was so easy"

And for the wires, from what you say about those connectors... I would remove those and use plain old wire nuts. Very old school but very simple and effective.

PM me your mailing addy if you want, and Ill send wire nuts and a box adapter (strain relief)

Its less then a 2 minute job once you understand what to do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant stress the thanks part enough, I probably would have fried my **** by now if it werent for you guys

Here are a couple pictures just to help clarify. I'll go ahead and place the green wire under a screw as you said for now.

Input - extension cord into 1st plug. 1white to white input, 1 black to black input, no 3rd input for ground wire.

2nd plug connecting from 1st plug. Again only 2 input but output has black, white and grey swirled in with red.

Here's the 'great' manual that came with the fixture...This is the only part that refers to the actual wiring

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    see the circular areas in the cover plate that you have open. Those are "knock outs", they are designed to be removable for the wires to run through. That way you don't have to leave the access panel open and you can use stuff like those strain reliefs that i sent to links of.

Yes that totally makes sense.
    My problem is that if I move the plugs inside the fixture and use that plate; there's a very good chance that the wires will fall out of the plugs and I'll just have to pull them back out to insert them back in. Is there any way that I can secure the wires from the extension cord to the plugs?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast