Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hooking up a balast 101

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those yellow connectors actually look like they should work, but no worries.... lets keep it basic and use wire nuts.

They will solve the problem you mention, and they will be on the inside of the fixture. That way the "strain relief" will prevent any tugging on the wire nut connections when any "unintended" tension is put on the cord.

That is its whole purpose in life, that and to prevent chafing from the sharp edge of the knock out hole.

so you only need a couple dollars worth of goodies and 2 mins and it will be both professional and bullet proof

Av

(calling it a night, ill check PM's tomorrow... ive got spares of everything you need)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont mean to step in but in the 3c diagram you can see the wire nut type Av8tor1 is talking about you hold the wires together facing the same way and screw this nut designed for the porpose of twisting the wires together and holding them tight while covering all the exposed striped wiring , they will hold and you can put them inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No please dont hesistate to step in, any help is appreciated.
    I did see it on the diagram when I read it and tried to install the first time but those plugs come out directly from the ballasts. That means I dont have 2 wire ends to place in a wire nut. I may be missing something clearly obvious but I just cant see how I can get wire nuts on there unless I strip the wires from those plugs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea cut them right off, but wait till Av8tor posts some pics for you , you'll have to remove the factory ends , and use the wire nuts insted , you wont need both, and the wire nuts will work much better, and be safer they wont fall off once you have the screwed tight in place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I'll wait for Av8tor but I did find a green screen labeled GRD on the access plate. Clearly where the ground wire is suppose to go to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ground it and then wait , that will make it a little safer,
    wow your up early also,
    you could pick up a supply of the wire nuts they come in multi packs for different size wires , if your out to day , but didnt Av8tor say he was sending you something, might want to wait on that as well (if you can wait ,I could not )LOL

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im in lab today so cant do much till late this afternoon or this evening. But he's going to go by lowes and get what he needs today.

and yes french, if you use the wire nuts the yellow connectors will have to be removed.

Basically slide the romex box adapter over the extension cord first (remove the round nut from it first). Slide the wires through the access plate next, and then slide the round nut over the wire. Now trim back the wires to approx 1/2" or so. We don't want too much bare wire or it will protrude past the wire nut and be unsafe.

Next, hold all the ends of the wires to be connected together with the ends even. Some will tell you to twist the wires together prior to screwing the wire nut down. I prefer not too, let the nut do the twisting.

Place the wire nut over the bare end of the wires and start twisting in a clockwise rotation until it gets good and tight.

Now, tug on each wire just to make sure they are secure, sometimes you will miss one in the process or just barely catch it. Always verify with a good tug on each, don't forget to do this.

Repeat this for each group of wires... the blacks and the whites in your case.

Also make sure there are no loose strands protruding from the nut that could short out on something.

Now, makings sure you have enough slack, slide the romex adapter down into the knock out hole and tighten it to the cable and to the access plate

Confusing I know, but it will be so clear after you do it just once...

Ill take pics tonight for ya
    B

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so work happened to send me over by Lowes so I stopped by and got the appropriate wire nuts and romex adapter.

Last question now is: When I strip the cables from those plugs, one has 2 cables (black/white) and the other plug has 3 cables (black/white/grey with red swirls).

That grey cable, is that my ground wire? Should I connect the green wire and the grey wire with a wire nut? Or is that a big no no?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast