Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hooking up a balast 101

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    French,

The gray with red swirls is probably for emergency lighting, occupancy sensor, dimmer (yes, some are dimmable now) or some other accessory. It will definitely not be a ground. But what it is I cant tell you, but if you look on the label of the ballast it goes too, it will have a schematic.

Those lights do have an emergency light connection (I THINK)... but verify, you may want to just tape that one off... I just cant tell ya without looking at the schematic.

My gut tells me you wont use it, but verify mate.

Now that you have the romex connector, does everything make more sense?

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely, every is much simpler now than I was trying to make it in my original post XD Not sure why those plugs are there though...

I'll take a look at the schematic on the ballast and let you know. I'll post a pic once everything is all fixed and hazard proof. Hopefully this time I'll get a passing grade haha

Thanks a lot for all your help, I really cant stress that enough.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent, and no more scotch tape this time either k

use good electrical tape mate, I like 3M brand personally... just not dollar store stuff :P

sounds like you have it all under control now

Edit: French, one statement you made gives me the impression that the gray with red tracer was connected in with a white wire at the original yellow connector, if that is the case then just repeat that with your wire nuts.... that may be the default connection if you dont have an external emergency lighting control circuit.

hope that didnt muddy the water again :P

either way, the schematic should tell you what to do with it

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh Well I wish I would have read the edit before I finished, no matter though I did just that once I figured it out haha. It was actually connected with that black. I left it out at first and plugged everything in and 2 bulbs didnt light up but when I put it in with the black it worked.

I've got 3 blacks (2 from ballasts, 1 from extension cord) and 1 grey wired with a wire nut and 3 whites (2 from ballasts and 1 from extension) wired with a wire nut. The ground wire from the extension cord is attached to the access plate using the green screw on the back. Here is the finished outside look. ( I was too into what I was doing to remember to snap pics of the wiring completed before I put everything back in but if for safety it's needs to be done (double check) then no problemo it can be done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just like the pro.'s do that looks great , do the lamps make it hard to look in that direction LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great Yann!

Funny how you have to become an electrician / plumber to raise plants and / or fish....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, a little elbow grease to reconfigure and A TON of help and voila! Really couldnt have done it without Av8tor, but I gotta say I'm really pleased with the final result. Let's hope it works for a while!

The lamps certainly make the room MUCH brighter and so far about 5 degrees F warmer overall. Which is fine since I only have lowlanders and intermediates. I try not to look directly into the lights

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    French,

LOL, well done indeed!!!!

Doesnt get any better mate, safe and pretty workmanship

(usually the romex adapter is turned the other way, but your way is actually much nicer looking IMHO)

Butch

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast