Thread: N. ampullaria x talangensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    checkout this newest pitcher ,
    this pitcher is a bit rounder , but still has the v shape to the bottom,
    the pitchers keep coming so ill keep updating from time to time,
    its a very fast pitcherer, what about talangensis does it pitcher this fast one new pitcher about every 10 days or so ? click on the picture on the left for a better look at the bottom , its the same pitcher.
    Last edited by uphwiz; 09-15-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update Jimmy. Not sure what you refer to as V shape to the bottom.. looks like all the small N. ampullaria I have ever seen and look just like the N. ampullaria pitchers in my photos above to me. Some N. ampullaria can be quite round and tubby when they mature but many N. ampullaria, particularly the Brunei red can be somewhat taller than wide. I still look forward to more updates.. Sure hope I am wrong since I have a number of these seedlings I am not releasing until I can determine if they are or are not the plant in question. Just on a side note, I left them in the main greenhouse through the Winter since they are supposed to be half highland, and they reacted like typical lowland plants and look absoultely horrible from the chill. Not what I would expect at all if they were half N. talangensis.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting discussion going on here. I also have one of these plants and I am very impressed with its growth habits. It didn't lose any leaves or pitchers when reacclimating and it has already inflated another pitcher. The first couple pics of your plant do look different to my eyes than pure ampullaria, but the latest pic you posted... It does look pretty darn close to a pure ampullaria. I'll post some pics of mine here in a bit, one thing that I thought was interesting in my specimen is that one of the smaller pitchers had striping on the peristome. I don't know if that is standard for ampullaria or not. Either way, it shouldn't be too long before these plants grow up and the truth comes out!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tony ive never seen ampullaria , in person ,and pictures can be deceptive , so my perception is probably off.
    i will keep posting pics as it grows, and let you all help with the identity of this baby .
    Looks as if the main central growth is starting to reach up and out of the pot , could this be the start of a vine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy that's looks great! The color must be from those new T5s eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reacted like typical lowland plants and look absoultely horrible from the chill.

Tony, have you had experience with lowlands getting like this and then bouncing back? What typically happens to them when they get too cold? I've got some that I'm a little worried about...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    reacted like typical lowland plants and look absoultely horrible from the chill.

Tony, have you had experience with lowlands getting like this and then bouncing back? What typically happens to them when they get too cold? I've got some that I'm a little worried about...
    They seem to do vairous things.. Some will produce pale colored new leaves that lack sufficient chlorophyll. Some will get really bad red blotching. Some like N. bicalcarata will simply turn yellow and then black in really short order. My biggest problem this year was with my irrigation water in the overhead sprinkler system. Even if I keep the air temperature fairly warm, the cold water (below 55 degrees f.) overhead sprinklers every couple days caused alot of deformed necrotic leaves on some seed grown N. ampullaria I couldn't fit in my isolated warm grow chamber. If you can correct the situation though and the plants live through it they will bounce back when temperatures warm up. The only challenge is if they will recover enough before the cold comes back next Winter! I used to have N. bellii out in the main greenhouse and every Winter they would get all pale and ugly and then during the Summer they would grow fine and look good. They lived this way for many years. Some lowland plants wouldn't recover enough during the warm season to survive the cold season though.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had several lowlands for several years and they always do great in the summer but they do suffer during the winter if I can't bring them inside. The small ones I move inside to a grow chamber. I just received these ampullarias from BE though, and they are suffering the typical shipping shock and now the cold is getting to them. They are too big for me to bring inside. Some leaves are already burned looking. I'm afraid I'm going to have to cut the growing stalk. I plan to just hang onto these and wait and see what they look like later in August. I'm worried about losing them, they were expensive!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast