What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nemerteans in the terrarium

I found a video that shows the worms I have crawling up my Anoles vivarium glass.

Nemerteans

(not my video)

Anyone else have these? They went away when I let the tank dry out but once the soil is consistently moist they come back. They kill other bugs and not plants so I guess that's cool but well... they're worms. :(

I took about a dozen still pics but none came out so the video shows you what they look like mine are just like that and are really fast... for a worm.

Gross. They sound like they could be the land version of reef tank bristle worms.

Needless to say I won't be putting plants or wood or anything from that tank into any other setups. Not that they harm plants, I just don't like worms and if I ever get some dart frogs I don't want these killing their tiny food animals.

Perhaps if all animals are removed and no further prey is added the worms will die of starvation...? The ones I have are about 2 cm in length, they must be capable of taking down a small feeder cricket cos I don't feed anything like fruitflies or springtails to the Anole.

I recall Barry Rice mentioning in his book that he accidentally discovered that Imidacloprid (as systemic nicotine based insecticide) kills nematodes in the planting medium. How it will affect your other critters is an issue. Organophosphates like Acephate (Orthene) has been blamed for die off and malformation of frogs.

These guys aren't Nematodes though, on the page I linked to, the guy describes trying to use Nematodes to control the Nemerteans but to no avail. Says he had limited success with Woodlouse bugs except they don't like wet environments and other tank critters eat them.

I wonder if the carnivorous fungus I read about in Carnivorous Plants of New Zealand would do anything to these. Supposedly the fugnus catches Nematodes in a lasso type trap. And then there's the impossibility of trying to actually get hold of a specific foreign fungus...

Back