What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you take Vitamins or anything like that?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
My mom is trying to impress on me the idea of taking one a day vitamins and fish oil and whatnot, do any of you do this?

I used to take Flintstones vitamins when I was in high school. When I went to college, I stopped taking vitamins altogether. I only get sick once a year during the winter when I get the common cold. Aside from that and the occasional allergy attack, I've had no problems.

I guess if you eat a healthy diet and get plenty of sleep, you don't need vitamins.

I take a daily multivitamin, two Calcium + D tablets, a Zinc supplement, and two Biotin capsules a day.

I would take fish oil gelcaps... supposed to be great for you but they smell.

I used to be a pill advocate until i went to see a nutritionist with my gf...

There's nothing better than a well balanced diet of fruits and veggies, meats and fish, grains and so on. Eating healthy and watching what you eat is much more beneficial than any vitamin you can take. We don't absorb the nutrients like we would with actual food, our bodies weren't meant for them, but they do replace what you can't get if you aren't consuming that certain something. I for one am lactose intolerant, so I HAVE to take calcium suppliments with added vitamin D... Or drink soy milk and risk growing boobs ;)
A hearty breakfast of eggs and bakey, toast(multi-grain) and a couple slices of fruit, or a smoothie and a glass of milk will be much more enjoyable than stuffing down 6 pills per day, everyday... Avoiding fried goods and processed crap and SALT will keep you at the top of your game. Oh yeah, and daily excersise!!!
It's either pay now or pay later, pay now and spend a little more on groceries, or pay later with hospital bills when we're old and weary. I don't want to turn out like my grandparents.

:beer: to good health!

**EDIT: in regards to wolfn's comment about getting sick, I don't get sick, haven't for who knows how long... aside from when i want off of work ;)

I take a one a day vitamin, fish oil, L lysine and vitamin D. I also take COQ10 very good for the heart. I also take probiotics.

We don't absorb the nutrients like we would with actual food, our bodies weren't meant for them

This is true for most general vitamins. There are plenty of vitamins that are made that your body will absorb. They just tend to cost more.

My wife works in the vitamin section of a health food store.

I take fish oil. Taste terrible when you start burping it up but they're supposedly great for you. There was a recent study published on it's effects positive on telomeres. Makes them last longer and aids in DNA mutation reparations.
I try not to take unnecessary vitamins because they just go and give 500% or 1000% of your daily value...I just need 100%, anything above can't be good on the kidneys...

I take omega-3 fish pills with epa and dha, along with with an MSM joint forumla with glucosamine and chondriotin sulfates, for my joint health because nobody wants replacement joint surgery later in life. I also occasionally remember to take a multi-vitamin and some of those chocolate calcium chews your granny probably takes, because I'm sure my diet is lacking in some things (good balanced diet is great, but there's only so much you can eat without over-eating and getting fat!). Then, because I give blood but don't eat too much meat, I take a vegan iron supplement that's a mix of folate, vitamin B-12, iron and vitamin C. It's vegan because the non-vegan ones are too heavy and can give you stabbing GI tract pain (they do for me). Lastly, because I work all day long and don't get to be out in the sunshine too much during the week, I take a vitamin D3 supplement at 500% daily value, because supposedly it helps keep you from getting sick.

The way I see it, I don't see a negative impact on my health from the vitamins. In that case, either I'm breaking even in health or getting ahead, and I'm willing to sacrifice the $20 every couple of months, and an extra minute a day for that. Also, it helps me to not-be-lying when I tell my doctor that I'm taking a multi-vitamin :-D

There was actually a thorough study that showed a higher incidence of cancer in people that took vitamins compared to those that didn't. They even factored in that people that don't eat healthy are more likely to take vitamins than those that do. Like previous posts stated, nothing beats a healthy diet. I do take fish oil, because I'm convinced omega fatty acids are essential and they've largely been removed from the production of food since the ag revolution. I just started taking grape seed too - I personally think that's another beneficial product to take, especially since I don't really like eating grapes.

I don't really take anything, i also try to avoid taking medicine unless its really necessary. I havn't been that sick in a long time and usually just deal with whatever i have build up my own immunity. Sometimes i get sick in the beginning of the day and feel better at the end i have a strong immune system :D i might take like one flintstone gummy thing every few weeks otherwise i don't use those either. Lots of fruit and vegetables, not a high intake of sweets unless they are around because my will power is weak haha. when im sick hot tea, and hot spicy foods get rid of it pretty quick.

I had heard long ago some doctors say all vitamins do is give you "expensive urine" but now my mom is all into that Doctor Oz on TV and apparently he tells about a new vitamin to start taking all the time cos when I take her to the store to get groceries she's always picking out some new vitamins he's talked about that will "save your life". I made a joke that if she keeps it up she'll have her whole reading table full of pill jars, she didn't laugh and sure enough I saw the table is starting to get that way! LOL

Since I only know how to cook about ten dif meals from scratch and don't eat much greens, to make her happy I bought the Centrum for Men one a day and a jar of the fish oil stuff. The kinds I got doesn't stink though, if it did I'm sure I wouldn't take it. Is anything supposed to "happen", I know I won't strart tripping (Whoa those Flinstones are kickin in man!) but am I supposed to get more energy out of this or what????

just take cod liver oil, or u can choose between some very good products they have like mangostine, or esija, they are all actually special orders u can't just buy them anywhere u have to know dealers. But id take a close look on them

From my experience, after changing my diet and trying to eat the suggested amounts of each within a weekly period, I feel better, have more energy and clearheadedness. There's nothing wrong in supplimenting what you are not getting, it does the job. I took a centrum a day for years, and i can vouch for them, I can distincly remember when I would miss a couple days that I'd feel a little under the weather.

As for the fish oil pills, great for the hair and skin, omega's... but when you burp, it might smell. lol.

It's never too late to take on new recepies, since being with my gf, i can't remember having the same thing twice(aside from old el paso taco's). If you make lasagna, put a layer of spinach, beet salads take 15 minutes to make (once the water's boiling), chock full of antioxidants and beta carotene. Just throwing things out there that might entice you.

I just learned to cook just two weeks ago, she'd usually cook, me clean...the tables have turned ;)
The internet is my cookbook.

Edit** i have to say that so far, dr. Oz impresses me and I'd(I'll) take his advise if it applies to you(me).

basically, if you eat healthy, you don't need a multivitamin. if you don't, it's not gonna save you.

I take the Costco kind, off and on.

When I moved to the South, the greasy dorm food devastated my Oregonian stomach that was used to only healthy, whole grain, natural foods. I got the flu three times in a row, every other week.

A bowl of broccoli will work wonders for your health. Just eat a bowl of broccoli with every meal. It's as good as taking vitamins. Also if you're taking lots of protein, it'll help with calcium.

I take lots of vitamins, but mostly because I haven't had the time/money to eat right. When I'm responsible about my diet, I usually just take cod liver oil and stuff for my joints (glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM and CoQ10.) Since I don't get fresh vegetables as much as I should, a multivitamin and some special personal additions like an easy-to-digest iron supplement (helps me not nod off midday) and a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement (seems to cut back on the frequency of my headaches) is important to me not feeling like a puddle of snot. I also keep a bottle of B vitamins handy as a countermeasure for my cranky days. When I'm cooking for myself and eating regularly it's mostly moot - I hope to get back to those habits very soon now that I'm not living with roommates. Ordinarily, I'd get several times my daily value of a lot of important stuff just from my staple of brown rice, mung beans and seaweed (tastes about as nasty as it sounds, but it's healthy and soooo cheap.)
~Joe

Eating right from a variety of foods is the best way to get vitamins.
I take vitamin pills about 1-2 times a month just to make sure.
Greens, various meats, and rice, beans, potatoes with skin take care of most vitamins I need and keeps the high fat/sodium foods away. It doesn't take much time to cook 'Real' food.

Back