User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you take Vitamins or anything like that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you take Vitamins or anything like that?

My mom is trying to impress on me the idea of taking one a day vitamins and fish oil and whatnot, do any of you do this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to take Flintstones vitamins when I was in high school. When I went to college, I stopped taking vitamins altogether. I only get sick once a year during the winter when I get the common cold. Aside from that and the occasional allergy attack, I've had no problems.

I guess if you eat a healthy diet and get plenty of sleep, you don't need vitamins.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take a daily multivitamin, two Calcium + D tablets, a Zinc supplement, and two Biotin capsules a day.

I would take fish oil gelcaps... supposed to be great for you but they smell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be a pill advocate until i went to see a nutritionist with my gf...

There's nothing better than a well balanced diet of fruits and veggies, meats and fish, grains and so on. Eating healthy and watching what you eat is much more beneficial than any vitamin you can take. We don't absorb the nutrients like we would with actual food, our bodies weren't meant for them, but they do replace what you can't get if you aren't consuming that certain something. I for one am lactose intolerant, so I HAVE to take calcium suppliments with added vitamin D... Or drink soy milk and risk growing boobs
    A hearty breakfast of eggs and bakey, toast(multi-grain) and a couple slices of fruit, or a smoothie and a glass of milk will be much more enjoyable than stuffing down 6 pills per day, everyday... Avoiding fried goods and processed crap and SALT will keep you at the top of your game. Oh yeah, and daily excersise!!!
    It's either pay now or pay later, pay now and spend a little more on groceries, or pay later with hospital bills when we're old and weary. I don't want to turn out like my grandparents.

to good health!

**EDIT: in regards to wolfn's comment about getting sick, I don't get sick, haven't for who knows how long... aside from when i want off of work
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take a one a day vitamin, fish oil, L lysine and vitamin D. I also take COQ10 very good for the heart. I also take probiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by blokeman View Post
    We don't absorb the nutrients like we would with actual food, our bodies weren't meant for them
    This is true for most general vitamins. There are plenty of vitamins that are made that your body will absorb. They just tend to cost more.

My wife works in the vitamin section of a health food store.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take fish oil. Taste terrible when you start burping it up but they're supposedly great for you. There was a recent study published on it's effects positive on telomeres. Makes them last longer and aids in DNA mutation reparations.
    I try not to take unnecessary vitamins because they just go and give 500% or 1000% of your daily value...I just need 100%, anything above can't be good on the kidneys...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take omega-3 fish pills with epa and dha, along with with an MSM joint forumla with glucosamine and chondriotin sulfates, for my joint health because nobody wants replacement joint surgery later in life. I also occasionally remember to take a multi-vitamin and some of those chocolate calcium chews your granny probably takes, because I'm sure my diet is lacking in some things (good balanced diet is great, but there's only so much you can eat without over-eating and getting fat!). Then, because I give blood but don't eat too much meat, I take a vegan iron supplement that's a mix of folate, vitamin B-12, iron and vitamin C. It's vegan because the non-vegan ones are too heavy and can give you stabbing GI tract pain (they do for me). Lastly, because I work all day long and don't get to be out in the sunshine too much during the week, I take a vitamin D3 supplement at 500% daily value, because supposedly it helps keep you from getting sick.

The way I see it, I don't see a negative impact on my health from the vitamins. In that case, either I'm breaking even in health or getting ahead, and I'm willing to sacrifice the $20 every couple of months, and an extra minute a day for that. Also, it helps me to not-be-lying when I tell my doctor that I'm taking a multi-vitamin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was actually a thorough study that showed a higher incidence of cancer in people that took vitamins compared to those that didn't. They even factored in that people that don't eat healthy are more likely to take vitamins than those that do. Like previous posts stated, nothing beats a healthy diet. I do take fish oil, because I'm convinced omega fatty acids are essential and they've largely been removed from the production of food since the ag revolution. I just started taking grape seed too - I personally think that's another beneficial product to take, especially since I don't really like eating grapes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast