Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The table saw is the law!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up The table saw is the law!

I got my table saw today along with a ruled blade depth pusher stick with 90* handle and a holder for installing/changing blades without cutting your fingers. Will be setting it up later tonight for use tomorrow but I have some questions for owners of larger saws.

I was wondering if it can be used year round out in the garage? Does it have a necessary starting temp (have to use indoors in winter after it warms up) or can I just leave it standing in the garage and run out there whenever I've gotta cut something any time of year? It is portable but heavy duty and sturdy so I'd rather leave it where I put it than drag it up and down a dozen steps.

My garage is not heated, it's just one in the middle of a row of six or eight joined two car garages. I share with the family downstairs who uses their side for storage, like most residents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've run table saws in very hot, very cold and in between...they always start right up w/out any issues.

Keep the metal table coated w/ a lubricant when not using to prevent rust from forming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks good to know it can stay out in the garage - the cats hate my jig saw and drill, just imagine the table saw!

Can I use WD40 or silicone spray to keep it lubricated or do I need something else? I know the garage is pretty harsh on metal cos my medieval weapon collection from my Renaissance Faire working days look like they're almost real antiques after being in the garage for some years. I definitely don't want the saw to look like them. I have left over 4mil painters drop plastic I can put over it too or will that trap humidity where I don't want it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    electrical motors dont have many problems in cold weather so long as it isnt bitterly cold....even when it hits -60*F here my unheated but attached garage doesnt drop below 10*F...

DO NOT use WD40 for a lubricant, it is penetrating oil not a lubricating oil atleast not long term.....use what ever the manufacturer recommends and stick to it....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes i use mine at all temps too it stays in the work shed which i only heat the front corner for a couple plants till summer , its always worked well, I have used it as low as 25 and as high as 100. you should be fine.
    glad to hear you took the plunge , you ll be building all kinds of things in no time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with all the others on temps. I've got a 220v 3 hp (or 5?) beast - it runs whenever I want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Keep the metal table coated w/ a lubricant when not using to prevent rust from forming.
    I originally did this but it wore off easily and also sometimes left marks on the wood I was working. A coating of car wax works a lot better (or something similar). It lasts longer without the downsides....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wax works well......its what i use on some knives that get stored more than used like my bigger hunting knives that arent much use outside hunting season when im gutting animals and breaking down carcasses.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gun oil also works well.
    I use it on my knives.
    It's thin and spreads well.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast