Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know anything about computers? I need help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a Vista laptop which I'm on now as I'm remodelling and have the desktop stored. It took a long time for it to get over that hump of using a ton of CPU power. It's now only using between 3 & 8%. I deleted everything in the programs file except for necessary applications and things I myself installed. It's also definitely running better since windows update auto installed Vista Service Pack 1 and then SP2 this past weekend and now I'm ok with my laptop. I used to hate the thing as even websites were slow. check with the microsoft site to get the SP updates they seem to help a lot.

Is there a reason you don't use Firefox for web surfing? I find it a way faster browser than Explorer even on my quad core XP desktop firefox smokes explorer. if you need it here's the link: www.mozilla.com it's free and seems more secure than explorer as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    omg, I contacted customer support and told them the problem and they siad the only thing I can do is reset to factory settings. Thats stupid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take it to you the people that work on your computer. They are the best equipped to solve the issue. They should have made sure it was fully functioning before returning it to you.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, if it's brand new--there shouldn't be too much on your computer anyway. place whatever valuable files you have on an external hard or flash drive. then put it to factory settings. it should be effective in clearing everything up.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think that will work though, because it IS at factory settings. I haven't done anything except get AVG on it and install my camera software. Nothing else! So it is at factory settings and not working right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    download a new web browser. something like firefox or chrome. IE is way too vulnerable in my opinion. then you can uninstall IE.

if you insist on using IE, use the other web browser to download it from microsoft again, and that should fix your kink. (at least that's what i'd do)
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded firefox and tried it - same thing. CPU usage jumped up to 100% and memory is at 42%. It is happening when I try Yahoo Games (I play Spades there) but on other websites it jumps up really high too. Some will let me navigate, although slowly, but others freeze up (like yahoo) and I can't do anything. Customer support said internet issues arent covered and they want to charge me 60 bucks to try to get to the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    download a new web browser. something like firefox or chrome. IE is way too vulnerable in my opinion. then you can uninstall IE.

if you insist on using IE, use the other web browser to download it from microsoft again, and that should fix your kink. (at least that's what i'd do)
    I wouldnt try to uninstall IE!
    I dont think its actually possible anyway..its too intertwined with windows..
    besides, there is no need to uninstall it....
    just download Firefox, then simply *dont use* IE..
    it can sit on your computer forever, but if you simply dont use it, it wont cause any problems..
    because itr wont be running..it would be just like any other program you never run..it would just be "dormant"..yeah it takes up space, but I dont think it can be actually unistalled..
    IMO, I wouldn't even try...not worth the potential problems an uninstall might cause.

Back2eight,
    you still havent given us any stats on your new computer!
    just the processor speed, and memory, will tell a lot about how "fast" it should be..
    and just because its "new" doesnt mean its good..or fast..
    computers, like everything else, have really cheap and junky low-end models that really arent very good..
    IMO buying from Walmart was your first problem..and if you paid under $300 or $400, you might not have bought a particularly "fast" machine to begin with..

I agree it shouldnt be locking up!
    no computer should..so it sounds like it has legit problems..
    im only saying you might be expecting more performance that you bought..
    your machine's stats will tell us a lot more about its supposed to behave..

(or just give us the brand name and model number, and we can google everything else)

Scot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast