Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone know anything about computers? I need help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what stats or how to find them
    It was a chepa computer, 300 bucks, but expecting it to work is not too much.

It's not just happening on the internet, it happens no matter what I open. I open a word document or something and it happens as well. So something is just wrong with the computer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go to start menu
    click on "control panel"
    click "go to classic view"
    click on the icon called "system"

This will tell you the make, model of your computer, for instance my best buy Craptop is:
    Windows Vista Home Edition Service Pack 2
    Toshiba Satellite A205
    Intel Celeron 540 1.86 Ghz
    2 GB ram

I really urge you to find out what this system page says and if it's not Service Pack 2 go download it, it's free. You may need to download SP1 and then SP2, it makes life on Vista easier for sure. As I said mine was doing that and now it isn't. I can even paint in Photoshop with my pen tablet now and could not before the SP2 updates.

If you have a retail computer it's loaded with useless crap you'll need to delete a bunch of junk they stick on them. If you ever reboot to factory specs you'll have to delete them all again. Software offers, games, etc delete it all from the add/remove programs on the control panel page. The icon for this is now called "Programs and Features" in Vista. You get to it the same way you get to the system page. Best Buy will "clean up" a new/rebooted computer this way for like $50 but you can do it all yourself.

Just close IE and forget about it, don't let Java install the Yahoo toolbar when Java and Firefox update themselves. Theres a checkbox that asks if you want it always uncheck it so it won't install, the less on your system the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the help. This has been a most frustrating experience and you have been very patient in answering my questions.

I'm taking it back to the store tomorrow. It is running worse than my 10 year old computer did when I was still on diap up. It is a 2 GB cheap computer, but so was the last one and it was way better than this. Something is wrong. So I'm going to take it back and get a slightly better one.

This has the one that came after Vista, is it windows 7? It's not vista, so the problems that people have with it shouldn't be an issue with this one. I did the reinstall factory settings thing twice now, and it's not just an internet problem. It jumps up to 100% usage and does the same thing (freezes up and/or takes an awful long time to open a page) when I do something simple like try to open a word document. So the computer is crap, and back it goes.

Thanks for the info on the crap they come installed with. I think I might pay them the extra money to get all that junk off of there and go ahead and get updates for me and everything so that all I have to do is hook it up and go. Right now I don't want any more stress!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No prob, retail computers kinda suck and I feel your pain! LOL

If you've got the time look into getting a custom build! The best PC I've ever had is my quadcore desktop, it was a custom build and came with nothing on it except the operating system and the drivers for the hardware not one bit of junkware. I bought a barebones unit from an established ebay builder and he had a customized checkout where you pick and choose what components you want, you get the total price while browsing his listing and if you're ready to buy just pay as a "buy it now". It took about a week or two to arrive and was well worth it compared to battling with a retail PC. I want to upgrade to the new octacore processor (dual quad core) with a 24 GB RAM motherboard 5 internal 500 GB drives for my orchestral software and recording program and I will definitely have the new one custom built again. I will probably be sticking with XP 64 though since it's the most stable with the music software/hardware I have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, I bought a camera the other day, and I knew more about them than the person selling it. I got a point and shoot with macro capacity. I had researched it beforehand, and when I got to the store there were 2 others for the same price that had higher megapixels. So I was interested in them and wanted to know if they could take macro shots as well. I ended up having to get online on my phone in the store to research the other 2 cameras myself because the store couldn't tell me anything. I got the one I wanted in the first place even though it had lower megapixels because the others couldn't take good up close photos. The people selling this stuff don't know what they are selling.

SWORDS, if you have that ebay seller saved or can remember his name, let me know. I'd like to check that out. Sounds like a good deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you probably already took it back but the first thing I thought of when you mentioned that you put AVG on there was that a second program like norton or mcafee was factory installed and likely was creating problems. I am yet to see a retail computer that doesnt come with one of these two and they do not like other anti-virus/firewall (av/fw) programs. Two av/fw programs will cause all sorts of problems in a machine. If you get a new computer make sure you remove what ever else in on there before you put AVG on.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are right ktulu, norton was on there initially but I did remove it before doing AVG.

I got my new computer. It has 6 gb with a 1tb harddrive. It's working great, I'm going to be happy with this one.

swords, thanks for the link you sent me in PM. I am going to hang onto that and use it in the future. I had to go get a retail one for now because I couldn't wait for something to arrive in the mail. I had to have one now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, I wasn't sure if you got it or not, the PM manager told me you've gotta clean out your mailbox before you can get more messages... Shouldn't it tell you? LOL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123