What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fav Icon problem fix for new Firefox downloads

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
  • Tags
    row
I've been using my laptop and it irritates me that I can't get any sites Fav Icons in my toolbar like I can on my desktop so I just have a row of all my fave sites logo icons and no text. I can drag them into the toolbar but it just gives the blank page logo for all of them. :(

If you've recently downloaded the newest Firefoxes 5.5 and higher after a reboot or on a new PC and can't get the icons here's a fix:

Check the menu Tools >Start Private Viewing
if "Start private viewing" is grayed out you can't get these icons.

If this is grayed out go to: Tools > Options > Privacy
Uncheck the box that says: "Automatically start Firefox in a Private Session" this will give you options for saving history, automatic cookie deletion, etc. Set this up however you want. Then restart frefox to save the changes.

Now you can have your Fav Icons with no text on your toolbar! :banana2:

FavIcons are cached in the browser site history in all versions of FireFox that support FavIcons. So if you clear your cache and browser history you would lose the icons until you visited the sites again. Privacy mode does not store/cache history so it's like starting out with an empty cache/history each time.

If you download new versions of FF it is automatically setup as "privacy mode" and icons don't work. Of course they don't tell you this... just let you go insane until you figure it out! lol

I just updated my FF and it did not start in privacy mode and my favicons are still here. Good heads up though :)

It doesn't mess with your settings when you update, but if you download FF 5.5 and higher for the first time on a new PC/laptop, an all new installation. Since nobody knew of what to do when I asked a while ago now that I've got it figured I'd let y'all know incase any of you get a new machine and end up agitated like me.

Ohhhh I read:
If you've recently downloaded the newest Firefoxes 5.5 and higher after a reboot or on a new PC and can't get the icons here's a fix:

So when I upgraded (which does download something, but automatically) and it was fine, I rebooted and it was still fine. But I see by reboot you're talking about a restore, or fresh install. Gotcha! :p
Andrew

Back