What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Geographic March 2010 Edition

Just wondering if anyone else has read the latest National Geographic magazine? There is an article about carnivorous plants. The pictures were great and the article was about how carnivorous plants work (i.e. insect consumption, leaf specialization, etc.). Touched on venus fly trap poaching, and sarracenia habitats in the US.

Overall I liked it, but for the most part it wasn't anything I didn't already know about carnivorous plants.

Curious to hear what people thought about it....

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look at it when I go to get groceries in a day or two. I probably won't buy it though since I'm trying to break my "completist" habit of collecting books and mags on everything under the sun that interests me. I'll read it while in line though for sue!

Found it also! Came online to give everyone a heads-up and found this thread. I'll read the article later tonight!

you can check out the article online at nationalgeographic.com Click on "The Magazine" in the menu and click on the pitcher with the caption "Killer Plants".

I actually got to meet Aaron Ellison last week. He came to my school and gave a seminar talking about using S. purpurea as a model organism for ecosystems. The logic behind it was all the symbiotic insects etc. living in the pitchers, and the dynamics between them, basically are their own ecosystem, like a scaled-down version of something larger like a forest. Very interesting stuff.

And don't forget, we here are the very small minority of people who already knew most of the things in this article. To 99.99% of the people out there, CPs are a whole world they've maybe never even heard of.

Back