Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Cube Rescues and a Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death Cube Rescues and a Question

My mom is awesome. :> she went to Lowes to get some garden plants, and she said she had a surprise for me. She came back with a very healthy Darlingtonia. I was very astonished because I never thought I'd have one in my collection for a long time. I asked her if there were any other types and she said there were. So I asked I go could to Lowes with her to see what else there were. Besides the Cobras, there were only some somewhat healthy VFTs and ventratas. However, I found one adelae and seems like it was the only one, so I took it home. I was very happy because it's been years that my Lowes had CPs.

Here are some pictures:

I'm keeping the adelae on my window to keep it from spreading, lol.

Now for the question: How would I be able to sustain the Cobra in the Sunshine State, Florida? Currently, it is on my windowsill and am getting some refrigerated distilled water ready. If I put it out in the summer, it'll most likely die quickly from the heat. I'm planing to keep it on the windowsill until I think of a way of keeping it in a shady area where sprinkler water doesn't hit...However, it won't be long until the sun stops directly hitting my windowsill (and it is open so the glass doesn't weaken the light). Any ideas? Currently researching on Cobras more, and I have no idea if it's the coastal variety or mountain variety (but it's most likely the coastal variety). This was such an awesome find, I don't want it to die one me. :x
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that is a healthy cobra!! Try this, Cap: Well-drained media, deep pot, and shady location. Dig a hole in the soil of the shady location, and place the deep pot inside. The earth will keep the Darlingtonia media cool, and you can always water with cold water on hot days.

Good luck!
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petmantis View Post
    Now that is a healthy cobra!! Try this, Cap: Well-drained media, deep pot, and shady location. Dig a hole in the soil of the shady location, and place the deep pot inside. The earth will keep the Darlingtonia media cool, and you can always water with cold water on hot days.

Good luck!
    Hmm. That's an interesting idea... I'll keep that in mind.

And another question: Should I repot it now? It's in pure sphagnum.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my darlingtonia enjoyed ice cubes. i froze some distilled water overnight, and then placed the cube away from the growth point but over the rhizome (the rhizome was buried of course). hope everything works out for you!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmk, I found a nice place where I can put the cobra. Luckily, my mom just bought this multiple tier plant holder which gets smaller the higher you go, and it's not too sunny. However, I'll still see if I can find a better place.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, my Darlingtonia have been thriving in a planter, on the porch, in direct south-facing sun. I just add water when it doesn't rain. We may be in Western NY but we do get a few summer days in the low 90's. the plants haven't reacted in the least. They spread through stolons and flowered.

I thought you were in Antarctica!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Actually, my Darlingtonia have been thriving in a planter, on the porch, in direct south-facing sun. I just add water when it doesn't rain. We may be in Western NY but we do get a few summer days in the low 90's. the plants haven't reacted in the least. They spread through stolons and flowered.
    I guess we'll just have to see how it works out.

I thought you were in Antarctica!
    Part-time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: So far so good! The adelae seems to not have skipped a beat.

And I believe I see a new pitcher coming from the Cobra. c:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast