What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Permanent Plant Id Maker?

Hullo Fellow CPers-

I've been using those thin aluminum plant ID plates with a sharpie permanent ink. But after 4 months, most of the writing has faded away and I hate it when I can't figure what sarracenia I'm looking at in the winter (cause I've gone and mowed down everything) :censor:

What have you folks used to keep a more permanent ID on your plants.

Thanks to all those who responds :hail:

E

Good old #2 pencil lasts for years.

Put clear tape over your label

There has been numerous discussion on this subject before.

Those "permanent" aren't very permanent at all except on porous materials and even then the dyes used in them fade rapidly from UV exposure. Otherwise it rubs off easily. Clear tape will not prevent UV fading.

Good old graphite (carbon) as found in pencils fades the least. Some people use labels makers as made by Brothers. Some of the tapes resist fading better than others. Search the forums.

Since the tags are aluminum why not inscribe the information? You can't get much more permanent then that. Buy a carbide tipped inscribing tool or use a nail.

I have been using one of the Brother P-Touch label makers for several years, along with 1/2" tapes, available in different colors, sizes, and in clear. It allows for a number of different typescripts; and the labels themselves have been exposed to every conceivable element, without so much as one peeling or fading -- even in direct sunlight and sustained heat over 110˚F.

I worked in harsh marine laboratory environments for years and that is what we used on a regular basis without fail. I cannot recommend them more, and they are relatively inexpensive at larger office suppliers . . .

I use the Brother, Brutha! LOL

$25.99 at Target with 2 free starter tapes and batteries.

I also use the Brother P-touch label maker, the tape is expensive though! Or a cheaper method is to cut up window blinds to use as your labels and write on them with a graphite pencil on the matte side. It doesn't fade.

Yeah I found out the hard way that pen will wash right after the first rain.

Great!!

Thanks for all the info :hail:

E :banana2:

Back