User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 9

Thread: Coming Out of My First Dormancy, Questions Regarding Mold, Rust, Soil...

  1. #1
    TENroaches's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Coming Out of My First Dormancy, Questions Regarding Mold, Rust, Soil...

    I moved my plants back outside today from the garage, and when I was trimming off brown and black parts, I saw some of my plants already started their spring growth. But I also saw some other stuff that I'm going to ask about.

    What is this, and what should I do about it? I guess it's a type of mold... Can I just take off the top soil there and it'd be fine? I do intend to repot everything either tonight or tomorrow (probably tomorrow), so this mold most likely won't cause me any trouble.



    Any idea what kind of moss this is growing in this pot? Or is this not moss, and those taller parts are seeds of some sort? I have no idea.





    And my planter is a long, skinny one, and it has a metal bar that goes into holes in the middle to help hold it together. But that bar is rusty. Should I take it out, or leave it be, or sand it, or what?






    I'm not sure what some of my plants are planted in that I bought from Lowe's (I think peat with LFS on top) and a local nursery. Should I just replant all my VFTs and pitcher plants (red bug, purple pitcher, catesbaei, scarlet belle...) in 50/50 perlite and peat? In my long planter right now are two VFTs, an ordinary sar from Lowe's, and a purple pitcher, and they're in 100% peat and have been for the past year.

    I also have a P. primuliflora (primrose butterwort) that I need to repot. I almost killed it with Orthenex last year and repotted it in 100% peat. Strangely, it seemed to keep growing through the cold months when everything else stopped. I'll research what media to plant this one, but if anyone knows off the top of his head, feel free to comment on it. :-)

    I have peat, LFS, silica sand, perlite, and orchid bark to choose from. I could go get something else if I should.

    Thanks
    Tim

    Grow List

    bogspot - my blog about my plants

  2. #2
    Sarracenia Collector Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its the native north hills water garden moss lol! They're ordering in mid-april, i called, i cant wait! As for the fungus, i think repotting should be fine, i did that before... and i would say take out the pole. Tonight im starting a new mini-bog!
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

  3. #3
    TENroaches's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awgaupp View Post
    Its the native north hills water garden moss lol! They're ordering in mid-april, i called, i cant wait! As for the fungus, i think repotting should be fine, i did that before... and i would say take out the pole. Tonight im starting a new mini-bog!
    IS your bog in the Pittsburgh area? I'd be interested in getting a tour sometime.
    Tim

    Grow List

    bogspot - my blog about my plants

  4. #4
    Sarracenia Collector Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    IS your bog in the Pittsburgh area? I'd be interested in getting a tour sometime.
    well, they're around my yard in windowboxes™. i have about a 2x3 1/2 feet in ground bog w/ a few sarrs. as for a "tour" (i guess i'd show you plants then we talk cps) i'd have to ask my parents. PM me i guess
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

  5. #5
    scottychaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western New York, USA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I wouldnt bother to do anything with the mold..
    just splash water over it for a few days as you water the plants..it will just disappear in a week or two..
    no need to disturb the soil surface at all..
    once that mold is exposed to open air and sunlight, it just disappears naturally..
    (this is what I do every spring..the mold just goes away)
    If you were planning to repot anyway, thats fine..but you certainty dont have to repot because of the mold..

    2. some kind of moss..dont know the exact species, but it often grows on the surface of CP pots..
    personally, I like it! I would also just leave it alone.

    3. rust on the steel bar...probably harmless, but I would try to encase the bar in some kind of plastic shrink-wrap tubing..or paint it..
    if you paint it, remove it from the pot, sand or file to scrape away all the rust back down to bare, shiny metal, then hit it with a coat of rustoleum spray paint, or something similar..but if you are going to paint, you have to remove all the rust first..you cant paint over rust, or it will just eat through the paint and keep rusting..

    I would worry (a little, mild worry) about rusty water dripping into the pot over time..but its probably a non-issue..personally I would take care of the rust, but if you dont get to it right away, it probably wont hurt anything..

    Scot

  6. #6
    TENroaches's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    1. I wouldnt bother to do anything with the mold..
    just splash water over it for a few days as you water the plants..it will just disappear in a week or two..
    no need to disturb the soil surface at all..
    once that mold is exposed to open air and sunlight, it just disappears naturally..
    (this is what I do every spring..the mold just goes away)
    If you were planning to repot anyway, thats fine..but you certainty dont have to repot because of the mold..

    2. some kind of moss..dont know the exact species, but it often grows on the surface of CP pots..
    personally, I like it! I would also just leave it alone.

    3. rust on the steel bar...probably harmless, but I would try to encase the bar in some kind of plastic shrink-wrap tubing..or paint it..
    if you paint it, remove it from the pot, sand or file to scrape away all the rust back down to bare, shiny metal, then hit it with a coat of rustoleum spray paint, or something similar..but if you are going to paint, you have to remove all the rust first..you cant paint over rust, or it will just eat through the paint and keep rusting..

    I would worry (a little, mild worry) about rusty water dripping into the pot over time..but its probably a non-issue..personally I would take care of the rust, but if you dont get to it right away, it probably wont hurt anything..

    Scot
    Yeah, I was going to repot anyway because it's all 100% Peat and, as I understand it, that's pretty dense stuff and you probably wan't it to be a little lighter and airy. I could be wrong.

    Heat shrink tubing is the perfect solution to the rusty bar. I'll sand or file the rust off the best I can and then shrink some tubing over it. Thanks so much for that idea.
    Tim

    Grow List

    bogspot - my blog about my plants

  7. #7
    Neps_N_Things's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I was going to repot anyway because it's all 100% Peat and, as I understand it, that's pretty dense stuff and you probably wan't it to be a little lighter and airy. I could be wrong.

    Heat shrink tubing is the perfect solution to the rusty bar. I'll sand or file the rust off the best I can and then shrink some tubing over it. Thanks so much for that idea.
    It's kind of up to you. I know there is one member/ ex member of the forum (name slips my mind) that swore by pure peat. Most people however prefer to mix peat about 50/50 with perlite or silica sand because it makes a more airy mix and the idea is that an airy mixture is easier for the roots. Be careful though since alot of perlite is sold with fertilizers and some sands have high mineral levels.

  8. #8
    Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that mold and just put my plants in sunlight and watered. It's starting to disappear already after one day.
    SK-8 OR DIE

    growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. *Yawn*... Coming out of dormancy...
    By rco911 in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 05:20 PM
  2. Coming out of dormancy
    By jimscott in forum Sundews (Drosera), Byblis, Drosophyllum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 07:06 AM
  3. Coming out of dormancy...
    By Redtail in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 03:57 AM
  4. Rust colored mold on vft
    By Sundewd in forum Venus Flytrap (Dionaea ) Care Information & Tips
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 12:25 PM
  5. mold on the traps during dormancy
    By jamieanne in forum Venus Flytrap (Dionaea ) Care Information & Tips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2002, 08:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •