What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mounting problems

Not actually in my life but rather, does anyone have any ideas on HOW I could mount this to the back wall of my vivarium?

fernbark.jpg

I bought two large pieces of this fern, lichen and moss colonized tree bark for use as "inoculation material" for vivarium backgrounds (these plants should take off onto the rest of the DIY background material after a while) but I was wondering, how I should attach it? I don't wanna use silicone as that can bother plants as it cures. Hot glue perhaps?

There are Sori on some of the fern fronds with an awesome 4" height at maturity!

I can tell you what not to use.. DON'T use super glue! It has a chemical reaction with the moss and get's hot enough to start the greens on fire. Trust me, I've done it.
Try hot glue or aquarium glue. But the Aq Glue may still be silicone, so that's up to you. What I do is mount cork bark with hot glue onto the glass.. then use small nails to mount the moss to the wood. Wet it heavily, press it all into place, and give it lots of light. Then the moss will take off from there.

Thanks Mass, so like you just "tack" it on, that's a neat idea. I think I'll do that!

Have you only used it over cork or have you also used it over Great Stuff spray foam and Aq silicone embedded with Coir? I can go buy big flat sheets of cork by the pound from the orchid shop but the spray foam and coir is cheaper.

Once the plants are established and you put your Tarantula in do you continue to mist it? I know you're not supposed to spray your Ts directly which would prevent me from using a Mist King system since you never know where they might be when the mister kicks on but I'd sure like to use one on the planted arboreal tanks.

swords i amazing gooped nylon screws to the top inside of my terr to hold the tubing for my misting sys.
first glued the screw and let it cure then added a large washer over the screw and al so used the amaxing goop to glue it in place over the screw head they are very secure ,
maybe you could try something like that but , you ll have to let it cure a day or two
click on pic for larger view :0o:
later

Looks good Jimmy, did you use a special bit to drill the glass?

Have you ever drilled holes in an "all glass" brand aquarium?

Thanks Mass, so like you just "tack" it on, that's a neat idea. I think I'll do that!

Have you only used it over cork or have you also used it over Great Stuff spray foam and Aq silicone embedded with Coir? I can go buy big flat sheets of cork by the pound from the orchid shop but the spray foam and coir is cheaper.

Once the plants are established and you put your Tarantula in do you continue to mist it? I know you're not supposed to spray your Ts directly which would prevent me from using a Mist King system since you never know where they might be when the mister kicks on but I'd sure like to use one on the planted arboreal tanks.

who told you not to get water on your T's? If my tarantulas don't move when I mist, they get wet. No biggie.. doesn't hurt them any.
I've never tried the spray foam technique.. I always wanted to, but felt it was out of my league. I'm sure I'll try it once I get a large GH and build a water habitat.

diamond bit from lowes, and no on the all glass aquarium, just this one it has 1/4 inch thick glass, and worked pretty well. but rhe screws are just glued to the top no holes there.
holes are just at the ends where the tubing comes into the tank

Thank god the post is about plants. I saw the title and was a little scared to look.

You know me, I like to use attention getting titles for rather mundane things! :D

Eh the books say not to spray the Ts directly, though they also say they have some kind of wax in their hair to dispell water....???

The Rosy dived right in her water dish tonight while stalking a cricket. The cricket dived in a short time later. After they both dried off for an hour or two the chase continued once the cricket started wandering around and she's eating happily now. She ate this one so leisurely compared to on saturday she caught it so fast I didn't see her grab it.

Word of warning on pulling the rims off a 10 gallon tanks like I did in that other post on modifying aquariums. Don't or be real careful with this size, they're fragile! I cracked the corners on two panes trying to pull the frames off of my test 10 gallon tonight so I guess I won't be having any frameless T vivariums. Not a big deal but I just don't like the frames. I guess I'll try drilling a hole in this one since it's screwed up anyway. I'll check out those bits. Unlike Perfecto tanks this All Glass one didn't have a sticker on it saying specifically that the tank can't be drilled.

go slow slow slow , and i'm not sure you can free hand drill glass, so use a drill press and support the glass from the bottom side see the post i did on "holes in glass" i wedged a piece of wood just under the drill site, and made a puddle of water to keep it cool and lubricated.

Love the creepy crawler i think i could handle,as in hold them ,if they weren't so hairy,
but me big weenie man , no way im touching one of these guys, i can admire their beauty , what a creation ,
and i never kill spiders they take care of so many other critters, we would be in trouble without them.

LOL Swords. Your Titles are always Hilarious.

Innuendo, LOL. Is that fern Pleopeltis?
~Joe

I guess I've never been scared of Tarantulas since my 3rd grade teacher had one. She taught us about how fragile they are and let us handle it on occasion.

I actually dislike grasshoppers, just cos they jump and their appearance on me is so sudden it causes me to jump! :D

My grandma and my aunt have gotten all upset over hearing that I got some Ts after my mom told them about me having them. My mom held my teachers Tarantula during open house when I was a kid so she's not scared of them either and thinks they're "cute" with the fur compared to a regular house spider. I didn't bother telling those two though cos I knew they'd have a fit about it. The other day I got the "Don't come crying to me if you wind up dead" statement from my aunt. I never understood how that could work - would I be a weeping ghost?? My aunt actually likes reptiles and snakes and things (she's the one her job sends out to catch any that appear in offices after they've delivered plants - her kids have most of them as pets) but she has this thing about spiders for some reason.

Back