What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

consequence of cutting the flower

i cut the flower on one of my sarrs and vfts about a month ago no new growth has occured. Are they in shock??? i want new leafs ahaha

My guess is they're still waking up from winter dormancy. Just give 'em a little more time!

no i woke them up a month two early....like in early feburary.

well, it's not like animals where one minute they're asleep and the next they're awake. plants gradually go dormant and gradually come out of it. They're taking cues from the hours of daylight and temperature, and when they're ready to grow, they'll start growing!

You should be okay. I didived all my sarracenias this year. If any plant is starting any flower production I clip it off. Instead of spending all that energy producing a flower it could go into repairing the damage its been done from division. Just give it time.

I was told once by Peter D'Amato, that if a Sarr produces the flower after you divide it, it's fine to let it continue flower; but if the flowers appear before you divide it, it's best to remove the flower. The flower on Sarra's form at the end of the growing season and remain "dormant" until spring, so it's not really using up that much more energy in the spring, it's equivalent to making a new pitcher, which makes sense since they usually don't have any new leaves to provide energy when they flower.

Back