Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knowledge freaks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    im over 6 foot and am about 215 when im trim.....dont fit the nerd profile either but thats pretty well what i am....i dont consider myself particularly smart, i just have a good memory for facts which is handy for taking tests....also have a head for certain types of numbers like calculus but chemistry equations trip me up something awful....i tend to label myself as an ed-jew-mah-kated backwater hick most who dont know me think im some idiot redneck cause im generally dressed in ink covered ripped clothes and have ink pretty well imbedded in my hands from the solvents i use.....those that do know me love it when someone who doesnt try to show how smart they are and i can hold my own in a conversation bout most anything they wanna talk about....the school board meetings i cover for the paper get real entertaining cause the current administration is mainly ppl that know me or have taught me in school in the past....the school board is full of idiots that dont know me.....the administration think its funny as all heck when the school board tries to do something stupid or illegal and i call them on it...im sitting their looking like a mechanic that hasnt washed up before leaving work and im quoting state statutes like a lawyer...one of them aint learning to fast....

my working knowledge is better than my theoretical knowledge/artistic ability......my wife loves my working knowledge on how stuff works and how to make something work with minimal supplies....ive got a 50 year old Swedish press im keeping running with parts i can find or build via supplies at the local small town hardware store.....she likes that stuff, a new press that size is over 100 grand.....

but when it comes to problem solving in the house she dont much care for it.....im darn good at making something work, not so good at making it work and look good....she insists on "showing off" my solution to a slow drain in the basement....problem? got a house made in the 50's with the drain pipes on one side of the house two small for modern day washers and their quick dump of water.....my solution? 35 gallon garbage can with a small diameter hose coming out the bottom going into the floor drain......it works and has worked for 3 years....completely solved the problem, and its out of sight in the laundry room......however the wife dont like it cause it dont look professional, course it dont, only took me 20 minutes and $20 in supplies to fix it
    yeah sometimes people might misinterpret me for a street person or street thug :P but from where im at Filipinos around my age and older are really doing street dirt, not that im glorifying it but im in SD and yes many roll this way. and I can say i grew up in the slang side but i dont drown my self in such things , i do my best to educate kids and even adults on how things are and what they could be, I like educational conversations with any 1 i encounter, not that i talk like a book page 247 but in my opinion besides living to the fullest of life what more is there besides that is the quest for knowledge, haha the eternal struggle. im not too good with handy man house work, I just never took an interest on it so far
    L'imagination est la clé de la logique de la pensée, une plus grande vérité éternelle.
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also called the "smart one" in some of my classes and on the topic of the "smart one". I feel it is given to the ones that have a naturally good memory. I may have a very good memory, that doesn't mean I care much about using it. I maintain a 3.8-3.9 with out studding at all. I just do my homework and I can pass the tests with a 90-100 most of the time. I do hate school more now because each progressing grade is just getting easier. To much review from 8th grade at the moment. There is also one major weakness, I can't remember names or put them to faces. I can see your face and know who you are, but if I hear your name I can't think of who it is. (I dread handing back papers for that reason.)

As for what forums I visit, I go to ant farm and myrmecology forum, venomlist for the bees and wasps section, and I read some threads on a few others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how long have u been in venom list? i've been there for a while
    L'imagination est la clé de la logique de la pensée, une plus grande vérité éternelle.
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spring, I don't usually read the threads in most of the other forums. My user name there is antcatcher11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah they got people there who collect wasps and ants, dunno their names but im sure there are, i just lurk around most of the time , venomania is my sn
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12