Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm addicted to buying carnivorous plants

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a break from the internet, maybe. It will do nothing to restrain you, believe me.

Tell yourself "I don't need any more plants. I can just grow the ones I have the best I can." That's the best advice I can give you.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    Take a break from the internet, maybe. It will do nothing to restrain you, believe me.

Tell yourself "I don't need any more plants. I can just grow the ones I have the best I can." That's the best advice I can give you.
    hehehehe! pre drastic measures can be made "tell yourself" just do it now!
    L'imagination est la clé de la logique de la pensée, une plus grande vérité éternelle.
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not having a credit card really helps. Save the money you would spend on plants for a year and put it to something really sweet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, i'd say i have an addiction as well. however, here are somethings that help me keep in line and prevent overspending--

1) space: space in my house is very limited, not to mention no backyard. this for the most part eliminates all possibilities of keeping temperates. (not that keeping them isn't possible, but it's more of a pain)
    2) uniqueness: because i have limited space, and a decent amount of income, i concentrate on plants that i find to be unique in physiology or in rarity. quality is better than quantity. finding rare plants may take a little work, but it's not impossible. take a good look at my growlist, and you'll find that i have quite a few nice specimens---all this i have amassed within less than half a year so yes, it is possible.
    3) temperature: my climate does not allow me to keep that many plants that require lowlander conditions to grow. i do have a lowlander tank, but it is only a 2.5 gallon tank-->go back to reason 1.

because of these perimeters i've setup for myself, i am almost complete with my collection, and i can tell you that i am quite satisfied with what i've gathered for myself. there's no need to spend money on the more mundane or common plants---however, like i said, invest in plants that you find the most appealing and dont settle for less, the monetary value of a plant isnt everything, but rather your personal attraction to the plant. if you like D. capensis because of it's handsome features despite it being common in the CP trade, buy a capensis, but don't buy it for the sake of buying it.

on the more practical side, like what others have said, dont spend money that you dont have. if you're going to use a credit card to make plant purchases, make sure you have that same amount in your bank account. plus, you'd be sparing yourself from an interesting humiliation trying to explain the reason of your debt to friends and family is accredited to plants.

i've been on the otherside where i kept buying more plants than i could keep when i was younger. as a result of my lack of self control---i lost a good amount of CPs, as well as the money spent on them.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Space limitations have kept my purchases at bay. I still have a few neps on the list, but no space, unless something extraordinary comes by. Luckily nothing has yet
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    yes, i'd say i have an addiction as well. however, here are somethings that help me keep in line and prevent overspending--

1) space: space in my house is very limited, not to mention no backyard. this for the most part eliminates all possibilities of keeping temperates. (not that keeping them isn't possible, but it's more of a pain)
    2) uniqueness: because i have limited space, and a decent amount of income, i concentrate on plants that i find to be unique in physiology or in rarity. quality is better than quantity. finding rare plants may take a little work, but it's not impossible. take a good look at my growlist, and you'll find that i have quite a few nice specimens---all this i have amassed within less than a year so yes, it is possible.
    3) temperature: my climate does not allow me to keep that many plants that require lowlander conditions to grow. i do have a lowlander tank, but it is only a 2.5 gallon tank-->go back to reason 1.

because of these perimeters i've setup for myself, i am almost complete with my collection, and i can tell you that i am quite satisfied with what i've gathered for myself. there's no need to spend money on the more mundane or common plants---however, like i said, invest in plants that you find the most appealing and dont settle for less.

i've been on the otherside where i kept buying more plants than i could keep when i was younger. as a result of my lack of self control---i lost a good amount of CPs, as well as the money spent on them.
    Option # 2 is the best one of all, great minds think alike!!!
    L'imagination est la clé de la logique de la pensée, une plus grande vérité éternelle.
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to be overly critical but that does sound a bit like the beginnings of a real compulsive spending problem. You might talk to a doctor about it, but it's good to hear that you're being self-aware and thoughtful about it. Please don't grow up to be that kind of adult... as the child of someone with abysmal fiscal skills/discipline, I can tell you it gets very ugly. Even when your income is in the six digit range.
    It's hard for me to relate personally, but I hope you can find greater pleasure with the things you have already. I think you should put $20 away after every order and then take a trip to Borneo in... hmm... one and a half or two years at your rate?
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am lucky in that as much I like getting new neps, I am cheap as hell. I am always on a whim almost buying new plants. I add them to my cart but when faced with the confirm to buy buttom, I cheap out and cancel the order. I would have quite the collection if I bought everything i put into the cart. I get some deals on ebay or trade, I am now starting more things from seed. It isn't as instantly gratifying but alot cheaper. Plus I feel more connected to a plant that I "raised" myself. Anyone can shell out money for a nice plant, but raising your own is more fulfilling.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast