What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm looking for Shultz aquatic plant soil

My local stores doesn't carry Schultz aquatic plant soil any more.
I'm looking for a place to get some for my pings.
If anyone has access to APS I can pay price plus shipping cost.
PM me if you can find some.
I can send a ping or two on top of the price/shipping.
Thanks,
Zero

Adam,

How much do you need?..... I dont have any full bags, but I do have a half full 25lb bag of pond care APS and one 50lb bag of Turface

I could fill up a USPS "Flat rate" box of you if you want, otherwise shipping would be a killer

Have you tried to source the Pond Care brand... or Turface?... I see there are two sources for turface in Maine... Its a much cheaper version
50lb of turface is about 12 bucks here, the 25lb bag of pond care was 25ish

Av

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Sports Fields, Inc.
Monmouth
(207) 933-3547

John Deere Landscape supplies
9 Johnson Rd.
Portland ME 04102 USA
Phone 207-772-7173
Fax 207-772-0250
Email cheath@johndeerelandscapes.com

Av8tor,

What do you think of the Turface compared to the pond care APS?
Any preferences? (and why?) Ever try any oild-dry type products? I have read about a concern about them as their source is not consistent, so product may vary in a bad way.

Also, even further off-subject... :offtopic:
But since I have your attention....
In using Trichoderma, what is your thoughts/preferences of a granular compared to flowable/liquid? You got me curious about it and have me considering trying it.

Again, your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Oil dry products vary regionally, even when under the same label and packaging... (per published company data)...

Turface seems to be a great replacement for Shultz and at a much lower price. Its very stable and doesn't seem to leech off anything.

If you have Turface in one hand and APS in another you cannot tell a difference. TDS testing comes up nil as well. By definition the product would have to be very stable considering it's intended purpose.

I find them interchangeable...

Ahhh we are looking at Ampacbiotech.com's products... ;)

Great stuff, much higher spore counts then the other brands, plus their specific strain is great for Cp's

The granular is used for transplanting and problem areas, I usually will sprinkle a 1/4 tsp or so into the hole prior to transplanting. Sometimes I will also sprinkle some on the surface if I'm feeling lazy about making up some flowable.

The flowable is mixed with water and used as a drench or a spray... peer reviewed research has shown that the benefits are systemic.

Its really a numbers game and should be used as a routine therapeutic IMHO. Trichodrma sp. are antagonistic and parasitic towards phytopathogens. It also forms a symbiotic relationship with the plant increasing nutrient uptake and disease resistance. All of which is well documented by peer reviewed studies.

What it wont do is result in a sudden burst of growth. What it will do is cause you to have less problems (ive not used fungicides in years) while at the same time increasing plant health and growth rates.

I have also used it to "cure" botrytis attacks

While it's not required to grow cp's or even grow cp's well.... it does make growing them well much easier IMHO

I have used it for years, Ive tried various strains and products and find that Ampac's is by far the best for our applications. Their strain was isolated from an Alaskan source IIRC, so I would assume it evolved in boggy and cool conditions.
If you want extra protection mix it with other strains (rootshield's T22 comes to mind)

I do have one friend who says he had bad results with trich, I have no explanation for this... but feel that it is important that I mention it. That being said, I know of many people who use it with great success...

One long time (25yrs) heli grower recently mentioned a "significant" reduction in botrytis attacks in the CP Digest (about a week ago) after I recommended it to him last year.

I wont mention names, but many of the "old school" cper's are regular users.

Caveat, Im definitely not a microbiologist... so some of what I said may not be technically spot on... ???

suggested reading:
http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/research1/trichoderma_research.pdf

HTH's
Av

Sir Av8!

I knew you would be the one to ask!
Exactly what I wanted to know!
While I have not used fungicides or preventatives in the past, the possible benefits of this that you have mentioned in the past seem to call for a try.

(I have been taking a little to our "Ampacbiotech-girl" (I told her it came highly recommended by you!) and I am not sure so far why the granular can not be converted into a liquid or colloidal, that can be used like the flowable... but I'm still learning.)

I am trying to narrow my purchase to one type, and I am sure I will figure it out by then.

Thanks again for your help! :water:
Paul

... I am not sure so far why the granular can not be converted into a liquid or colloidal, that can be used like the flowable... but I'm still learning.)

Paul

I could make a guess... the formula for the granular is a tightly held secret, I think I know enough to make some basic assumptions.... but that is all it would be???

More good reads...
http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/research1/myco_coiling.pdf

http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/research1/atroviride_interactions.pdf

http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/research1/improv_atroviride.pdf

http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/research1/root_microbes.pdf

HTH's
Av

:-D
Ah, more things to read while in the bathroom!

Always interested in something new!

Thanks Again

Back