User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What would be the best roach for my home?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've learned, calcium dust/hi calcium feed for bugs being fed to Tarantulas is a no-no. I guess it has something to do with the Tarantulas new exoskeleton being too rigid when they molt. I do dust feeders every other time I feed my Anole, alternating between multivitamin (Reptivite) and some calcium stuff (Reptocal). My cousin just got a pair of new Panther Chameleons maybe I'll make up a colony for her, merry xmas, I got you roaches! LOL

I won't be feeding out any of the really large ones for a while so maybe I can make some extra dough selling the biggest ones to the herp shop until I need to start using them. 1/2" up to 1 1/2" is all I'll really need at the moment but I have a feeling bigger meals will make for bigger spiders faster - within reason obviously i wouldn't put a 4" roach with a 5 " T... lol The big ones would just be for the largest guys like LP or TBlondi but the variety of sizes from small to large will be great to choose from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    From what I've learned, calcium dust/hi calcium feed for bugs being fed to Tarantulas is a no-no. I guess it has something to do with the Tarantulas new exoskeleton being too rigid when they molt. I do dust feeders every other time I feed my Anole, alternating between multivitamin (Reptivite) and some calcium stuff (Reptocal). My cousin just got a pair of new Panther Chameleons maybe I'll make up a colony for her, merry xmas, I got you roaches! LOL

I won't be feeding out any of the really large ones for a while so maybe I can make some extra dough selling the biggest ones to the herp shop until I need to start using them. 1/2" up to 1 1/2" is all I really need at the moment but I have a feeling bigger meals will make for bigger spiders faster.
    for my last TF post in the next comming like 5 months i must say that giving your girl cousin a ton of roaches for Christmas is the MOST GENIUS IDEA EVER!!!! I just couldn't resist commenting on that
    L'imagination est la clé de la logique de la pensée, une plus grande vérité éternelle.
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    swords.....for the record dubias will breed at lower temps, mine breed at 70-75, they just breed slower....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they breed at lower temps doesn't that mean that escapees could infest your house?

I thought that was the "selling point" of tropical feeder roaches that they can't propagate outside the colony box...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in all reality i have never had an escapee....i use a tall sided rubbermaid with a 2 inch strip of petroleum jelly along the top just in case......never had one make it to the jelly let alone out.....they are piss poor climbers of smooth surfaces and cant fly.....it isnt an issue with dubias.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont feed them minerals.....just give them the highes quality gut load from things in your fridge 6 hours before and sprinkle em with rep cal calcium(green labeled bottle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am a bit late to the party but I'll ante in.

I have kept both rusty reds and lobsters.

I got rid of the rusty reds, entirely to spastic and funky smelling.

I have a thriving colony of lobsters now and they are a cake walk. My wife was worried about their being climbers but I keep mine in basically the same way Rattler keeps his dubia (the only exception being I have a heat cable threaded into my tub to keep them breeding at a higher rate) and I have never had any escapees. Heck they never even climb anyways. Size wise they get about half again as large as a cricket and have a lot more "meat" to them than crickets do. They breed fast and can keep it up down to 50F (though at a much slower rate.) I was pleasantly surprised that they are also pretty cold proof on the short term, when I moved up here I left the colony in the car and it dropped to 17F that night, only lost about 30 of the individuals, the rest went right back to it after warming up. I feed them acorn squash and dog foor for the most but readily toss in any other stuff from the kitchen, veggie scraps, cheese, even the occasional meat scrap (and on the rare occasion that the GBK does not eat I throw in the pinky rat.)
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I have two colonys as well, the hissers and dubias. These hissers don't look like the textbook hissers, they may be the oblongata species (long and black) and not the standard ones (G. portentosa). I'll have to see what becomes of them in time. I'm going to be putting up my new terrarium shelf soon and I'm gonna stick the roaches at the very top where they can get the convection heat from the striplights I just don't trust heating cables, pads and such anymore after I had the aquarium heater stick on and boil my fish.

Here's a new question for this thread, how big of a tub setup are you guys using? Is there an advantage to using a bigger bin?

I've got both of mine in 10 gallon rubbermaids with half dozen eggcrates in each. A tray of dry cat food and a tray of expanded water crystals. I put an orange slice into each tub every other morning or whenever I eat an orange. They love the oranges there's not even any scraps left by the time I go to refill their dishes.

If only grandma knew I was "refilling food dishes" for roaches... To her the idea of keeping Tarantulas was bad enough. lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast