Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like it was able to make it through the House

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take Asmanex, Avodart (off label for hair not prostate problems lol), Singulair,Cymbalta, and Rozerem. The insurance covers SOME of the cost but not all, and considering the average cost of each one is around $150 give or take 20 bucks, it adds up. I've got private healthcare (blue cross blue shield) and have my own insurance plan with like a $2,500 deductible. I was wondering how the healthcare bill will affect ME? I'm not poor, take generics on my other drugs (albuterol, levothyroxine, doxycyline) but it's still SO expensive. My parents pay for everything and they aren't hurting for money but if it will help them out by saving any cash then that's awesome.

Will it help at all? Can I piggyback on my parents' plan? I'm also sort of worried that the government will start regulating what my doctors can and can't do... For example will I not be able to have Avodart since it's not approved for hair loss? Will I not be able to take my antibiotic every day since it's only approved for a ten day course? Will insurance start covering my Rozerem (a $150 non-narcotic sleeping pill with no generic form... they won't cover it until I try TWO addictive sleeping pills that come in generic. I'm unwilling to try the when this works and I'd rather not take something with a risk of dependency) Will there be "price-caps" like in Canada?

Since I do have preexisting conditions (who doesn't anyway?) like Asthma, if I cancel my policy will another company be more likely to offer insurance instead of rejecting me since I'm sort of expensive? Will doctors be required to try older drugs first instead of giving me what they think I should take? For example, will a doctor have to give you old school antidepressants like generic Prozac or Zoloft before trying new-school things like Pristiq or Cymbalta (regardless of whether or not the insurance even covers it) or make you try generic Ritalin or Straterra before Vyvnase or Intuniv if you have ADD?

My plan, for some reason, makes me pay the total cost at the register. That's a BIG bill, and then they mail us back a check for 70% of the cost of the covered drugs (not Rozerem or Avodart, and that's $300 right there!) like a month later. Will this end?

Sorry if this is too personal/specific, but no one can really answer my questions. I want to know how this will affect the upper middle to middle class american who doesn't really NEED help but would appreciate any cost saving or extra benefits, especially in this economy. Right now I'm taking 90 mg. of Cymbalta a day. It's not covered. It costs $450!!!!!!!!!!! I'm relying on doctors samples to get me through the rest of the semester until I can switch during the summer so my schoolwork isn't affected (switching antidepressants is rough business...blah.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is such a split topic.....clint I wish i had the answer as I am sorta in the same boat, although I dont take nearly all those meds. I have had allergies/asthma and ADD my entire life so I have prescription drugs that cost me... will these new regulations affect me, sure. Most cost effective, although maybe not the best solution was to get off some of the prescription drugs after consulting with doctors and switching to OTC drugs when I could. Yet when I finished college the astronomical cost of COBRA was out of control. I didn't want some private insurance company telling me I need to spend X amount of dollars for their coverage after I was off my parents health coverage, thankfully Tufts total health allows me to stay on my parents plan for longer. Im not sure where this PROPAGANDA comes from about having to give up your current coverage or primary physician (maybe from the same place that says Scott Brown means Hope and Change). In theory you should be able to keep your existing insurance, and primary physician although only time will tell how this all pans out.

I don't like the idea of supporting a single teenage mother with a child with my tax dollars, nor do I like that I'm paying for 2 BS wars. Yet I feel health care needs to be more affordable for non-profit organizations, and private citizens (not illegals) without coverage who want it. America is bureaucratic so regardless of what you believe about health care reform you will always go through hoops to get something accomplished...

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, sorry for getting too specific. There is so much talk about the underprivileged, and I support it to help them (but I'm not really convinced in one direction or the other), but I'd like to know how it'll affect the majority of middle-class americans and used myself as an example. I can't wait until this stuff goes generic!

One thing that really interests me is what the insurance and pharm. companies themselves have to say. They've been so surprisingly quiet it seems. Really surprisingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    insurance costs go up in such a situation, not down....example once again is Canada.....when everyone isn’t paying much to get in and see a doc they go in for every lil thing....the system is taxed.....you have to start saying who gets to go to the doc for what or there is no way to pay for it all.....which is why individuals in the US that are paying for their own insurance tend to sit at home and deal with the minor crap, which they should, and only go see the doc for the major stuff.....cause it costs them......they think before spending money......health insurance for the masses is affordable but most aint interested in it, run a high deductible insurance and combine it with a health savings account.....health care costs on the individual drops dramatically cause they think before going in.....but if something happens they are still covered and wont go into bankruptcy......
    I am VERY happy to pay for my fellow Canadians to get the PROPER care they need WHEN they need it. Of course it is going to take a long time to schedule a MRI, there are only so many available, and it is on a priority first basis. I can go in for an x-ray and I’m out within an hour. And it's free. I get bronchitis, I go to the clinic and the doctor's visit is, wait for it, FREE. Up here, the benefits greatly outweigh the cons, it's just that when you have a specific need, it's then you tend to have to wait longer.

You guys state 40 million people are without health care, with my salary, I'd probably be one of them. But thanks to my tax dollars, I never have to worry about that. I can live my life as I wish, as dangerously or as carefully as I choose. I can sleep at night knowing I won't go bankrupt if I get hit by a car tomorrow. My grandparents, when they were here, had great hospital treatment, all on their measly retirement cheques. Everyone here is treated equally healthcare-wise (with exceptions of course!!), but I wouldn't give it up for anything.

There will ALWAYS be freeloaders, and people who abuse the system. It does slow down the process, but at least EVERYONE gets served (eventually). 40 million without healthcare, that needs to change...

How long are you willing to stay home, with/without pay before you go in to the doctor to get assistance, unneeded sick days taken, and when you finally decide to go, it's cause you've made yourself sicker than you actually should have been in the first place. Imagine those single parent families, children are deprived of schooling cause their parents can't afford for their kids medical bills, kids stay home and are deprived of schooling, if they go to school, they just get more kids sick and the cycle continues for some other family... This should and can be prevented, everyone would benefit from it.

Those opposing this are ignorant of its benefits, and I REALLY don't mind ''paying for a teenage mother with a child'', cause I know that out there, someone needs this kind of care... I consider that comment almost unpatriotic, and uncaring for your neighbours.

Imagine the revenue you could build just by the sheer size of your population. It would probably be financially sound, if it weren't for all the leaks and cracks in the current system. I'll follow up by saying that I find it ridiculous to put your well being in the hands of the insurance companies, I work for one, and we give a great service (if not the best in Canada), but it's all for profit... If there are corners to be cut, I don't want that happening when it comes to my health.

I hope it works out for you guys.
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the same way Bloke.

Unfortunately our current reform isn't setup that same way as the other countries who have public care like Canada, UK, Holland, etc. it's still set up as all for profit. Whether this passes or fails the for profit HMOs will make out like bandits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bloke, last time i chatted with my buddies in Canada, they had half their paycheck held back in taxes AND had a sales tax to pay for health care.....the care up there is not as cheap as most seem to think it is, especially when someone making under $100,000 a year gets $50,000 taken out in taxes.....most my buddys in Canada would be better off financially if they could purchase private insurance and they are far from wealthy individuals...

this health care seems to have passed, now watch your taxes go up....effectively 50 percent of this country does not get taxed with federal income tax, there is a huge number of ppl that get more money back after they do their taxes then they pay in.....and plenty still that come up as a wash.....that is going to end......this aint going to be a tax that affects only those that make over $200,000......everyone is going to be chipping in cause there is no other way to pay for it.....

i hope to hell the supreme court throws this out as unconstitutional as all hell cause it is.......if you want something like this you should be doing it on the state level like Montana and several other states have with those we as a state felt compelled to help....to force it on the entire country and call it mandatory is BS.....especially with a government that spends money and refuses to make cuts.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canada's income tax rates aren't that much different from ours. Here's a table:
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html. Nobody is taxed at 50%.

The CBO shows that this plan actually saves money on the deficit - both immediately and more into the future. Where do these mythical tax increases come from? The plan is funded as is. And the notion that the SCOTUS will deem this Unconstitutional is, as far as I can see, without basis. If it were, Medicare would also be Unconstitutional. All this very moderate, centrist plan does is increase regulation on the insurance industry, keep people from freeloading on the system, and makes sure 30million more people have access to health care.

It helps people like Clint with pre-existing conditions to get insurance, it lets people like him stay on their parents plans till they are 26, it prevents the insurance companies from dropping people when they get sick, or they find a technicality in their enrollment from years prior. It protects seniors from overcharging on prescriptions drug benefits, and gives subsidies to those unable to pay for insurance today. Which on of those is going to be a popular "repeal" topic? Which one will the opposition get votes for?

Finally, what's wrong with paying money for something like this? We're talking about people's lives. The same people who seem to hate this idea so much had no problem when we attacked a nation for no good reason, when we pay for ridiculous defense projects that nobody even wants, or when we slash taxes on the richest Americans. We are a rich nation, and we do things with our money that make no sense at all. I just can't figure out the sudden hostility when money and effort is given to something that will actually help people, especially the neediest people. We are the only modern nation that harbors the notion that some people simply shouldn't have access to health care by virtue of their lack of wealth or their illness. It seems inhuman.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast