Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats the worst price?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    back2eight: Becoming a member is explained in the catalog and on the order sheet, and gives you half off. Considering what their plants cost, the cost of membership, even if you give over the minimum, instantly pays itself off. Also, I consider it in my mind to be them giving me some plants for free for me supporting their research and conservation, because I could just as well buy from a for-profit place at the member discount price, but chose to buy from that particular place for the aforementioned reason.

Best/worst price:

Best: I got sale unlabeled nepenthes in 3" pots that didn't look so good for ~$3-4 each, of some regular easy varieties (vent, sang orange and red, maybe copelandii?, and something else that didn't make it) as well as some other more fancy hybrids and species on sale, that have mostly popped back to health except for one 4-5 months later and are my best looking pitcher-ers. The down side is that they looked cruddy because they were probably bug-infested so that I had to neem my whole collection down for a few months...but I consider it a learning experience because this was the first time I have successfully fought and won a bug-battle on my plants, and I learned that you just don't buy from some nurseries even if they're giving stuff away for one shiny red cent.
    Also, the N.leuco I got from flytrapshop if HUGE for the price I paid, considering the other Sarrs I have ordered from elsewhere. It helps that leuco is my favorite Sarr

Worst: I got an ampullaria from that vendor that everyone knows sends dead-ish neps that are mite/aphid/thrips infested that died a slow, agonizing death for the month after I got it. On the up-side, I did get a pretty big Platychila from them that has been thriving with me from day one.

Learning How To Multiply Indigo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well theres was a sale on neglected plants and for 5$ each nep.. I bought 3 and I got N.[known] , N.Flav and an N.sing for 15 dollar I think thats about it..

Edit: And I also won a monthly give away.. I got a free VFT :P but that was like YEARS AGO..
    And most rip off is from the dead plants... So expensive and yet.. I killed them ((((((((

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my best buy was also from that $5 deal. I still haven't ID'd any yet, but four of my five are getting ready to pitcher. One might not make it- I haven't gotten it "dialed in" yet. No pitchers = no ID. Is it HL or LL? It won't say.

On the plus side, the most vigorous is turning red red red!

Dunno what this one is, but it looks like a hairless N. talangensis.

My worst deal? I can't say I've ever had a bad buy, yet.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    Sarracenia, how do you become a member of that place? they certainly have some sars I want to get my hands on.

I know how much it costs to run a nonprofit, my mom owns a no-kill animal rescue center. But come on, 500 dollars for a plant is rediculous. They would sell more of them and thus bring in more money if they would lower that price a little bit. But it's their call.
    Basically, just send them $25 and you're in. They take Paypal. I'm guessing the $500 plant is in very limited quantity and they wouldn't put it at that price if they knew it wouldn't sell. I've already seen people selling divisions of plants from there at much lower prices, though not the $500 one...yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
    On the plus side, the most vigorous is turning red red red!
    looks very similar to my N. burbidgeae. if it is-->highlander conditions will get the ball rolling!

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

best price: a couple i guess--
    3 heliamphora pulchella plantlets for under $60- one if currently inflating its first mature pitcher!
    a mature ceph with 4+ growth points for $35.
    (not dirt cheap, but still...)

worse:
    a juvie TCed h. minor for $25--seriously? 4 leaves barely clinging to life, and only now, do i see it producing a new leaf. (i bought this plant 2 months ago!)
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best deals? Well, at the NECPS Silent Auctions of course! Although I've donated far more than I ever bought... so I suppose that sorta negates that.

Worst deal? I really can't say I've had one. Any time I paid a bill that was kinda steep, the plants were so nice an healthy they were surely worth it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best deal? $75 for a 6in N.jacquelineae.

Worst deal? $8 N.ventricosa that came with rust fungus and killed half of my nep collection.

Also, $60 for a large, but very weak looking N.burbidgeae that died a month after I got it.

PM me if you need a warning about the bad vendors.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey njnewbie...im in monmouth county and this fair was in my neighborhood..very smal fair, and havent seen the cp guy around since. Had no website either. And wow glad to see this caught on.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast