best price was about 500$ worth of plants from lowes for like....150$
    or some wholesale sarracenia flava for 1.50$ each lol

most ive spent on a single plant, 138$ for a seedgrown N. hamata
    most ive spent on a single order, 560$ ish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charge me for what it's really going to cost you!

I feel the same way. Although as my business is growing to the point that I am looking to hire help, I can see why some places need to add handling fees. In order to keep plant prices comparable to others, you have to figure in your cost of water, soil, pots, and labor somewhere! Not to mention heating and cooling fees. There's hardly any profit to be made doing this. I don't think people do it for the profit so much as the love of the plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best deal is probably the 6 ($9) I paid for Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant'. Though the mature Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson' that I won (for free) is the most valuable plant I have for the least amount paid.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    Sarracenia, how do you become a member of that place? they certainly have some sars I want to get my hands on.

I know how much it costs to run a nonprofit, my mom owns a no-kill animal rescue center. But come on, 500 dollars for a plant is rediculous. They would sell more of them and thus bring in more money if they would lower that price a little bit. But it's their call.
    Agreed. $500 for a Sarracenia seems a bit too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    But come on, 500 dollars for a plant is rediculous. They would sell more of them and thus bring in more money if they would lower that price a little bit.
    While I know Phil generally doesn't run a 'bargain basement' operation, for plants that are hard-to-find or unique, I'm generally surprised at how little vendors charge. The recent eddy's nep is a good example. Considering the insane demand for that plant, why not charge $1,000 (or $5,000) a plant? If there's no one willing to step up and pay, gradually lower the price until supply meets demand. I fail to see the benefit of supplying material at prices far below what the market will bear - that's basically just rewarding first responders....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    While I know Phil generally doesn't run a 'bargain basement' operation, for plants that are hard-to-find or unique, I'm generally surprised at how little vendors charge. The recent eddy's nep is a good example. Considering the insane demand for that plant, why not charge $1,000 (or $5,000) a plant? If there's no one willing to step up and pay, gradually lower the price until supply meets demand. I fail to see the benefit of supplying material at prices far below what the market will bear - that's basically just rewarding first responders....
    yep......those that dont understand the prices are just those that want the plant but dont want to pay that for it....im guessing they are priced at $500 cause collectors are willing to pay $500......if i got my hands on some through a different route ild start the pricing at $450 ......than again i do run a business and i or my wife have been treasurer for several non-profits and understand what it costs to run something.......if you have someone willing to pay the higher price you charge the higher price.....tis the way the world works......charge what the market will bear.....

kinda like when i see the macrophyllas on ebay going for a couple hundred....i sure didnt pay that for mine and am extremely tempted to throw mine on the auction block every time i see one going in that range....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm I've had no bad prices, i've bought neps at about $200 CDN, but they are worthwhile and came very healthy.

Best price, hmm all?

Rattler- another online vendor has lowii x truncata cuttings for $400, I sure hope they're rooted
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234