Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats the worst price?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats the worst price?

lets start a thread with stories of people who have eaither been riped off and got a ridiculus steal on a cp.

Last weekend i went to a farmers market and bought 3 vft's for a dollar each.they look like dente and are real big. I thought that was pretty lucky.

whats are some of your stories?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a N. Miranda at at the state fair a few years back. It had 12 6" pitchers and it cost me $12. The local vo-tech high school had grown them and the teacher who was growing cp's was retiring and none of the students wanted them.
    naich I live in NJ also, what farmers market did you get the vft's at, and did they have any other cp's? I'm always on the prowl looking for plants especially neps.
    there is a pleasure in being mad, which only a madman can enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most I have paid so far is 80 bucks for a S. Reptilian Rose. Although I saw a sarracenia for sale for 500 bucks from a place that is supposed to be non-profit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    The most I have paid so far is 80 bucks for a S. Reptilian Rose. Although I saw a sarracenia for sale for 500 bucks from a place that is supposed to be non-profit.
    I know the place of which you speak. I personally don't mind if they charge that much, the $ goes to a very good cause. They do important work there and are trying to purchase land to protect Sarracenia, as well as genetic research and other endeavors. The guy that runs that certainly isn't pocketing that money. If you are a member of that place, you get a 50% discount, although I still would never pay that much for a plant. But there are people out there a lot more wealthy than I ever will be.

I'm a pretty frugal person, so I've never paid that much for a plant. The most would be from the aforementioned place, where I've bought a couple that were in the $75 range, but I did have the 50% discount. The best deal I've gotten would be this past month, where I got about 5 plants from someone on Ebay, but they sent a bonus "grab-bab" of 16 Sarracenia rhizomes. 21 plants for about $60 was a steal to me, although it put a serious dent in my available space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    your point? it still costs money to run them......im involved with 4 non profits......even in this lil poor middle of nowhere tiny town we pull in several hundred thousand dollars a year between the 4 of them.....

for example with one of them.......we need to collect $10,000 a year for insurance alone, another couple grand is needed for the accountant to do the books every year.....around $30,000-$40,000 a year for heat, lights, water and minimal upkeep to our building.....trying to figure out now where we are gonna come up with a spare $12,000 to have a floor refinished.....and this is before we start giving out scholarships and give money to other needy causes.....non profit does not mean it doesnt cost anything to run.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia, how do you become a member of that place? they certainly have some sars I want to get my hands on.

I know how much it costs to run a nonprofit, my mom owns a no-kill animal rescue center. But come on, 500 dollars for a plant is rediculous. They would sell more of them and thus bring in more money if they would lower that price a little bit. But it's their call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, volunteering got me alot of my sarracenias for free, another was an online nursery where i got 2 one year sarrs for $2.

~billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you think $500 is ridiculous you aint been involved in the horticultural world for very long......aint hard to find plants in that range.......granted i wont buy a sarr at that price but i fully believe there are ppl that will, ive watched ppl drop a grand on an orchid........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast