What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chicken manure...

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on chicken manure with Sarracenias? I know it's supposed to be good for veggies and other fertilizable(made up word :)) plants. Not that I am purposely giving them chicken manure, I just can't be around every minute of the day to stop the chickens from getting into my outside bogs and pots and eating my silica sand and peck all my vfts apart all the while defecating on my Sarracenias. I wasn't able to find any mention of it on this forum and was curious about the impact it will have on the plants. It's not a whole lot but I do find evidence of it here and there and try to scrape off the poop from the surface. Anyway, let me know what yall think.

~billy

FWIW, back in my much younger (and wild) days I knew a few clandestine growers who tried it on rare herbs....

I know one thing, it ruined the taste of those herbs... that was some nasty arse stuff... it packed a whole lot more of a punch then just N, P and K

flashback..... ewwww

The white paste in bird crap is almost pure uric acid crystals. Uric acid (C5H4N4O3).is mostly nitrogen and decomposes to ammonia. That's why bird poop gets so pungent. The black/brown/green gunk is other undigested stuff.

Try cages/fences of (gasp) chicken wire to keep them away from your plants. Works with squirrels too.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on chicken manure with Sarracenias? I just can't be around every minute of the day to stop the chickens from getting into my outside bogs and pots and... defecating on my Sarracenias. I wasn't able to find any mention of it on this forum and was curious about the impact it will have on the plants.

I agree with the others.... ewwww. Chicken manure could burn out, i.e. kill, your sarracenias. CPs in general are sensitive to too many nutrients.

They call it chicken wire for a reason. You could also take up falconry as a hobby. :jester:

That chicken s*** will burn your Sarrs, if you leave it on long enough.

I had chickens. They ate my garden, down to the bare dirt, and ate the dirt too!

My birds that run loose (would-be culls - the good ones don't run loose) never bothered my bog when I had it. The manure will kill cp's. You don't use hot (fresh) chicken manure on anything. It will even burn plants that are heavy feeders if it's not been composted first. Even the composted stuff would be deadly to cp's.

The birds do bother my tomatoes though. Maybe plant some tomatoes just for the birds. LOL

Seriously though, put some chicken wire up like was already suggested.

Back