Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any combat vets? HELP!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Any combat vets? HELP!

The other night I had a routine mission: Drive up a road for a few miles at 5 miles an hour and do laps around that road looking for people laying bombs to blow us up.. Well instead there was a small group of men carrying AK-47s. I thought they were IPs (Iraqi Police) but there was no truck near by and they weren't in uniform. When they saw us they started shooting at us and that gave me the right to shoot back. I had a .50 cal and I saw one of my rounds hit his chest and blow a hole the size of my head in him.. I keep having nightmares about that.. I wake up in sweats screaming.. In my nightmares he comes back and is standing over me, dirty, bloodied and angry. I look around and everyone in the tent is dead, throats cut. I look at his hand and he is carrying a bloody knife... and then he cuts my throat slowly and I cant move to defend myself or even scream..
    I feel so horrible... I had no right to take his life.. I sit in a giant chunk of mobile armor.. his rounds did NOTHING but scare me... Everyone was safe in the trucks... Please try to understand where I'm coming from.. In my religion it's wrong to kill ANYTHING... I took away the life of a father, or a brother, a son.. I won't talk to anyone about this here in Iraq...
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand that it's against your religion, but you really have to think of it as a "your life or his" situation.
    You may have been safe in your truck, but the guy shooting obviously didn't know that... He had every intent to kill you and your fellow soldiers.

You did the right thing. Thanks for your bravery.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Adam. Good to see your doing well so to speak and still alive man. Sounds like a scary mission there. I know how you feel with the Nightmares and all. Even though I have never been in over seas combat, I have been shot at twice over here at my home. One of the rounds went right through my front door, and by the time I went out side to shoot back at them, they were already gone in there get away cars.

Anyways, I understand your religion about not killing anything, but The good thing is your still alive and in war its either his life of yours. A kill or be killed situation. Coming from me, a future 0311 USMC Infantry man, I feel you did what was necessary to stay alive and to keep the men around you safe. You and them can all now be safe and come home safe to your Families.

Killing is never a good thing, but if you have to kill to keep yourself, the men around you, and innocent men, women and Children safe. I say that it is a justifiable action that must be done.

You did a great job there man. There is now 1 less group of terrorists out there to do harm to innocents and you and your men.

Semper Fidelis

Mike W.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adam, i agree with Mike and Dart, you did what you had to do, the guy intended to kill you, you did what was necessary to defend your life and the life of the fellow soldiers with you, by taking him out you potentially saved yourself or a soldier and thus, allowed them the chance to be able to be reunited with his/her family once this stupid war is over.

Terrorists may be human, but human or not, what they are doing is wrong, and what they are doing is killing.
    You did the right thing, i know its hard to accept, and it will haunt you, but kill or be killed, kill a low-life who would kill a child or unarmed civilian in a dime, or you yourself, a man who is serving his country, a man who puts his life on the line for a country he has no connection to, to further better that country.....a man with a family, a kind spirit, and a man with connections to a real society, with real friends....
    not self loathing, cave hiding, suicide bombing idiots who think they are going to receive golds and riches for killing every man woman and child they see...

Adam, your a brave man for doing what you did, thank you for serving your country, just dont forget who you are....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea how that would feel. To put this in perspective though my brother was driving a bulldozer for the SeaBee's either in Somalia or Bosnia I'd have to check with him, anyway the Marine riding onboard as a lookout shot someone that was attacking them and for that I am greatful. So in otherwords you may have taken someone away from their family but you made sure that the fathers, brothers and sons in your group will go home to their families. Thanks for taking care of OUR families that are with you. Take Care
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huge difference between killing someone in self defense and murder, atleast in my book....they shot at you first, regardless of how safe you may think you were in the trucks you never know....one of them coulda had an RPG near by....they fired at you, you returned fire to protect yourself and your guys....you did the right thing....

as for the mental stuff.....suck it up, set you pride aside and talk with a shrink.....best way to get yourself as right as your gonna be with it the fastest....aint nothing wrong with it no matter what some tough guy says....not everyone is wired the same, yeah some can suck it up and not be bothered by it but not everyone can, seek professional help to talk it out.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel for you man, I really do. I support the troops but not the ideologies which send them (politics, religion, etc) or the things they're forced to do. Not many expect their goal of college tuition is going to force them into a situation of killing people. I can not congratulate you for the kill shot because it is not my way but I can congratulate you for feeling the way you do, I can count you as a brother. I would be going through those same things were I in your position.

I will have to second the advice to find someone to talk to about this. Preferably someone who has already gone through this themselves.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did what you had to do and what you were trained to do... you removed a threat to you and your mates.
    He made the decision for you, you simply reacted to a situation he put you in.
    Rough yes, horrible yes... but regardless.... you may have saved the lives of others that day and possibly for many days to follow. He may have been the one to blow up a school next week or maybe plant an IED.

War is not pretty, its not a video game, its not something to look forward to... but it is sometimes unavoidable.
    Again, just remember he made that decision for you and you did well. Innocent people will live because of what you did. All your training was to prepare you for that moment. So that you would react instinctively and decisively. There was no room for hesitation, the rules of engagement were met and you were taking fire.

Adam the soldier did what he had to do, what he was trained to do and may have to do again....
    Adam the Buddhist must now learn how to cope with what has happened.

Godspeed Adam, hang in there and come home safe mate. You are in our prayers and thoughts.

Talk to someone

Av

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast