What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ozzie soil map

soil_atlas.gif

doesnt actually tell yah much.....soil types can change in a matter of feet......around here you can go from nice loam, to high alkaline or pure clay that will not support plant life to pure sand and mixes there of.....and you wont have walked a half mile.....

that map is of more interest to geologists and about useless for growing plants......

Wow. What's the resolution on that? And how was the data collected? I can only imagine that it must be by satellite -- I'd like to see the algorithm that can determine soil orders from a little bit of albedo information, though. haha

I'm taking a course that covers a fair amount of biometeorology and remote sensing, so I'd definitely be interested to hear any additional information about this.

doesnt actually tell yah much.....soil types can change in a matter of feet......around here you can go from nice loam, to high alkaline or pure clay that will not support plant life to pure sand and mixes there of.....and you wont have walked a half mile.....

that map is of more interest to geologists and about useless for growing plants......

More power to you if you have plants with location data within a few feet...

holy %$@#% they got a 18 million dollar grant from the gates foundation?
wish i would've thought of this idea first...;)

I like it 'cuz it's colorful and abstract. ;)

Oh.. Australia... I though this was going to be a reference to Mark Todd or Black Sabbath...

Is he calling me Dirt?

I was disappointed when this didn't turn out to be an April Fool's prank... or maybe the prank is that there is no prank? o_O
~Joe

So, to be safe, I need to use sol as my planting media. Got it.

Back