User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 76

Thread: Just to clear some things out for he newbies

  1. #9
    clippity-clip-clip Clue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area & Davis
    Posts
    1,988
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Yes it does. Read, the re read. Many people have asked about fertilizing, how to make plants grow faster. What's the difference beetwen the 3 same plants I listed above. ^^

    ---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

    Moof on flytrapcare, his Sawtooth has never flowered. I said there are probably more ferts. That was a joke.
    It may be a joke, but a misleading one at that. Dionaea will not flower unless they are very stressed or very happy, so saying his/her flytrap hasn't flowered yet is rubbish because "Moof" either has an unhappy Sawtooth or a young one.

    And by the way, it's ccv. 'Dentate Traps'... Barry Rice was the first to register it with the ICPS, making it the true name.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

  2. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is a very experienced grower, and his plant is an adult.

    ---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

    Is that a Nepenthes ampullaria or bical as your avatar?

  3. #11
    clippity-clip-clip Clue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area & Davis
    Posts
    1,988
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    He is a very experienced grower, and his plant is an adult.

    ---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

    Is that a Nepenthes ampullaria or bical as your avatar?
    No offense, but I think a five-year grower would know that it's a xHookeriana, which is a cross between ampullaria and rafflesiana.

    Show me evidence that his plant has never ever flowered and will not flower and I will believe you.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

  4. #12
    jafvortex93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fort lauderdale, Florida
    Posts
    479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in timmy's defense, "clear some things up" not cover every spectrum of growing them.

    but... clarify some things a bit more. lol. ienot flowering=oddities of nature, only using maxsea? highly diluted common brand ferts have been used by several [that ive read maybe more] posters w.o adverse side effects)

  5. #13
    Brokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Dionaea Dentate, Dente, and Dentate Traps, are ALL the same. When a plant from a Red Piranha (example) has germinated, even if it looks Identical to the mother. It is NOT a Red Piranha. Just because a leaf is turning black means nothing, it is part of the natural growth cycle for the Dionaea. If you see a flower stalk, cut it off immeadeiatly, even if you think they have to do it, or they have to do it in the wild, you're wrong. Some plants just don't flower. Only use Maxsea fertilizer. No other one. I'm sure there are more, but I am also sure that that one is safe. For Neps, you can use coffee and betta pellets as fertilizer. The coffee SIGNIFICANTLY makes the pitchers have a huge growth sport. Maybe it stays all night up growing . Dentate does not go against flytraps, as it was found that way, and it's genetics wanted it that way.
    Maybe you want to state this as opinion rather than fact.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

  6. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, but some are facts.

  7. #15
    scottychaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western New York, USA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Dentate does not go against flytraps, as it was found that way, and it's genetics wanted it that way.

    "go against flytraps"?
    thats not very clear..

    but anyway, just because a mutation is "natural" doesnt necessarily mean "its the way nature intended"..lots of mutations are BAD..and cause the death of the organism (plant or animal)..and these mutations are not necessarily what "genetics wants"

    genetics "wants" to improve the species..not weaken it..
    many "bad" mutations survive because of humans, when they *shouldnt* and wouldnt survive if nature was left to its own devices..

    Personally I cant stand the "bart simpson" type VFT mutations..I think they are an abomination and should all be destroyed (seriously..not joking) because they weaken the species..(and dont even get me started on Persian cats, Pug dogs, and parrot cichlids..ugh..)

    and lots of other things that "genetics wanted that way" arent good either..
    cancer, being born without arms or legs, downs syndrome..the list goes on an on..
    just because its "caused by nature" doesnt necessarily mean its "the best of what nature intends"!

    Scot

  8. #16
    wicked good plants! Presto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    "go against flytraps"?
    thats not very clear..

    but anyway, just because a mutation is "natural" doesnt necessarily mean "its the way nature intended"..lots of mutations are BAD..and cause the death of the organism (plant or animal)..and these mutations are not necessarily what "genetics wants"

    genetics "wants" to improve the species..not weaken it..
    many "bad" mutations survive because of humans, when they *shouldnt* and wouldnt survive if nature was left to its own devices..

    Personally I cant stand the "bart simpson" type VFT mutations..I think they are an abomination and should all be destroyed (seriously..not joking) because they weaken the species..(and dont even get me started on Persian cats, Pug dogs, and parrot cichlids..ugh..)

    and lots of other things that "genetics wanted that way" arent good either..
    cancer, being born without arms or legs, downs syndrome..the list goes on an on..
    just because its "caused by nature" doesnt necessarily mean its "the best of what nature intends"!

    Scot

    Well think of it this way...you ever see those ridiculous birds of paradise, with the flamboyant plumage and their crazy noisy predator-attracting mating dances? Those adaptations are the same sort of thing...they really are harmful to the individual and make them less fit, except in one way: they help the individual be more likely to pass on its genes.

    The wacky traps are the same sort of thing. By all accounts they're a maladaptation, except in one crucial way: they caught our eye. You could kind of imagine that we're acting as a "pollinator"...the plant is attracting our attention in order to get our help in passing on its genes. If a plant does something that makes it more likely to pass on its genes...at the end of the day, that's all that matters! It's a biological success.
    -Emily

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. my fellow newbies...
    By Presto in forum Venus Flytrap (Dionaea ) Care Information & Tips
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-12-2006, 08:07 AM
  2. for newbies
    By Copper in forum Carnivorous Plant Trading Post
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 07:03 PM
  3. my fellow newbies..
    By Presto in forum Venus Flytrap (Dionaea ) Care Information & Tips
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-04-2006, 12:01 PM
  4. Cps for newbies
    By Amateur_Expert in forum Carnivorous Plant Trading Post
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 12:29 PM
  5. Seed packet folding for newbies
    By wickedthistle in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 10:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •