Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Just to clear some things out for he newbies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Personally I cant stand the "bart simpson" type VFT mutations..I think they are an abomination and should all be destroyed (seriously..not joking) because they weaken the species..(and dont even get me started on Persian cats, Pug dogs, and parrot cichlids..ugh..)

Scot
    lol Scot....they weaken the species? sure they are ugly and i dont care for them either
    but they dont weaken the species lmao
    they are weak to their own little cultivar, not the entire freaking species...reword your statements, as long as people arent going around and crossing them with wild flowers, not a single bit of damage is done, get over yourself.

Timmy you say youve grown CPs for 5 years but you give out a lot of noobish vibes, im pretty sure youve been trying to grow CPs for 5 years, killed most all of them, and finally got back into it to give it another shot....

the way you came off is a bit...
    obnoxious to say the least, since it sounded like you were trying to "school" the noobs, but in actual reality made yourself look like a fool by typing pure gibberish since nearly none of it really held any ground...

pointless rant over, you may all resume your regularly scheduled propogation of retarded, deformed, and species weakening cultivars (as scot calls em)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just to clarify for anyone desiring to use the word "significant" especially when dealing with science, you need experimental evidence to justify your claim. not only experimental evidence, but a statistically significant p value of or less than 0.05 in order to say that coffee is directly responsible for significant growth, the pitchers must also be measured to a pitcher without coffee (multiple samples, another p value) to prove that the growth is significant as well. otherwise, your "significant" isnt really "significant" but just an opinion.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    No offense, but I think a five-year grower would know that it's a xHookeriana, which is a cross between ampullaria and rafflesiana.
    Not to jump to Timmy's defense, because I am not. However, the fact that your avatar is a xHookeriana is not exactly obvious, even to experienced growers. Perhaps, it is obvious to growers experienced with nepenthes hybrids, but that is by no means all experienced growers.

It wasn't obvious to me, and I've grown CPs for over 20 years. One can gain experience rapidly by having exposure and experience with a lot of plants. There are a lot of growers on TF who know a lot more than I do, because they've been able to build up sizable collections in a short period of time. Timmy could have had 5 years of very narrow experience, but experience nonetheless.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For instance, I learned you can apparently grow Neps outdoors in California, after apparently learning you can grow them at all indoors last year. Everyone has their learning curve with CP's.

Saying MaxSea is the only fert is pretty bold though. It's good stuff, but it isn't black magic.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When a plant from a Red Piranha (example) has germinated, even if it looks Identical to the mother. It is NOT a Red Piranha.
    Horticulturally incorrect, I'm afraid. 'Red Piranha' is a cultivar, and in the world of cultivars, looks are king. You can get a 'Red Piranha' from a completely different set of parental plants than the originals. Same goes for all cultivars -- they are determined by looks, not exact genome.
    ¯\(º_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Dionaea Dentate, Dente, and Dentate Traps, are ALL the same. When a plant from a Red Piranha (example) has germinated, even if it looks Identical to the mother. It is NOT a Red Piranha. Just because a leaf is turning black means nothing, it is part of the natural growth cycle for the Dionaea. If you see a flower stalk, cut it off immeadeiatly, even if you think they have to do it, or they have to do it in the wild, you're wrong. Some plants just don't flower. Only use Maxsea fertilizer. No other one. I'm sure there are more, but I am also sure that that one is safe. For Neps, you can use coffee and betta pellets as fertilizer. The coffee SIGNIFICANTLY makes the pitchers have a huge growth sport. Maybe it stays all night up growing . Dentate does not go against flytraps, as it was found that way, and it's genetics wanted it that way.
    I want some of what you're smoking.... lol

If your experience in VFT has not flowered is because you are doing something wrong or is still not mature. VTF is a flowering plant and when well established there is nothing wrong in letting it flower.

I am sorry but I am also 5 year old grower but it seems you or I cannot make a statement like the one you have just made. You know, many in here have more than 5 yrs exerience in the CP world. I think you just insulted many with your bold statement.
    Growlist

Jesse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to the fert thing... No one has once mentioned, not one time since I've read at 1103 9 mar 2010 Iraqi time, the natural job these guys do: trap organisms! That is the function of the traps, so IMO to simply say orchid ferts etc (including coffee which I understand has not been fully established) are the only ferts is false and BS. Feed them bugs!! I can name any number of feeder insects that are easy to care for and quickly accessible or a number of traps to catch these insects from the wild. IMO Don't just use liquid fertilizer (especially as a noob) but give them bugs!! Crickets, roaches, ants, flies, FF (fruitflies) for the smaller traps, almost anything from outside! It's what they naturally do! Sorry there's my rant... but that drove me nuts... All better!
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Est View Post
    Horticulturally incorrect, I'm afraid. 'Red Piranha' is a cultivar, and in the world of cultivars, looks are king. You can get a 'Red Piranha' from a completely different set of parental plants than the originals. Same goes for all cultivars -- they are determined by looks, not exact genome.
    Unless otherwise indicated that the cultivar can only be propagated through vegetative means...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast