Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Just to clear some things out for he newbies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    lol Scot....they weaken the species? sure they are ugly and i dont care for them either
    but they dont weaken the species lmao
    they are weak to their own little cultivar, not the entire freaking species...reword your statements, as long as people arent going around and crossing them with wild flowers, not a single bit of damage is done,
    IF these plants were NEVER allowed to cross with other VFT's, or if they were never allowed to flower or reproduce by any means other than vegetative reproduction..then you would be correct..
    but we all know that is not the case..
    therefore you are wrong..
    they do "weaken the species" because the genes of the "deformed" varieties are continually mixed with other VFT genes, because people want to create even more "wacky" deformaties..
    therefore I am right..these varieties weaken the species overall..because "un-natural" genes (gene combinations that would not exist without human intervention) are created and allowed to propagate..

I have nothing to reword!

Scot

---------- Post added at 05:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post
    Well think of it this way...you ever see those ridiculous birds of paradise, with the flamboyant plumage and their crazy noisy predator-attracting mating dances? Those adaptations are the same sort of thing...they really are harmful to the individual and make them less fit, except in one way: they help the individual be more likely to pass on its genes.

The wacky traps are the same sort of thing. By all accounts they're a maladaptation, except in one crucial way: they caught our eye. You could kind of imagine that we're acting as a "pollinator"...the plant is attracting our attention in order to get our help in passing on its genes. If a plant does something that makes it more likely to pass on its genes...at the end of the day, that's all that matters! It's a biological success.
    Thats a brilliant idea!
    I love it..

the plants are taking advantage of the stupidity of humans to pass on their genes!
    hmmm..there might be something to that!

Scot

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said there were other ferts, and no I have grown straight for five years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Dionaea Dentate, Dente, and Dentate Traps, are ALL the same. When a plant from a Red Piranha (example) has germinated, even if it looks Identical to the mother. It is NOT a Red Piranha. Just because a leaf is turning black means nothing, it is part of the natural growth cycle for the Dionaea. If you see a flower stalk, cut it off immeadeiatly, even if you think they have to do it, or they have to do it in the wild, you're wrong. Some plants just don't flower. Only use Maxsea fertilizer. No other one. I'm sure there are more, but I am also sure that that one is safe. For Neps, you can use coffee and betta pellets as fertilizer. The coffee SIGNIFICANTLY makes the pitchers have a huge growth sport. Maybe it stays all night up growing . Dentate does not go against flytraps, as it was found that way, and it's genetics wanted it that way.
    you have been growing for 5 years? must not have grown much very well.........

the flowering thing is false and if you think about it just plain stupid......these arent agaves that flower once and then die, if the plant is healthy and your care correct they can flower all they want and live perfectly fine.....

ive been fertilizing my neps for several years with several ferts, all have worked and not one of them has been Maxsea......

pull your head out of your rear, the last 5 years of growing hasnt taught you a damn thing.........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    the plants are taking advantage of the stupidity of humans to pass on their genes!
    hmmm..there might be something to that!
    It _is_ a selective pressure nonetheless. The same way that dogs and cats have become household pets and their numbers have exploded to 50 and 60 million in the US alone.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it really selective pressure that brought these plants into cultivation in the first place? i thought most of the deformed trap cultivators arose out of TC errors during cultivation. they're accidents--but no....somebody had to turn them into novelties and replicate them. so naturally (in the litteral sense, in their native habitat) you would never find deformed, mutated runts in the wild. however, i'd think it'd be cool to have a flytrap that produced 2 traps per petiole consistently.

but then again, like what Brokken said, you arent going to find chihuahuas in the native mexican wilderness either...
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get "Rattled"!
    Its a kid!

Wake up people! Just let the thread die!

Makes me wish there were a separate place for this sort of thing.
    It really lessens the integrity of the forum, for members who are serious about the hobby.
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    but then again, like what Brokken said, you arent going to find chihuahuas in the native mexican wilderness either...
    But, it would be cool if they did. They could fill the niche left by Compsognathus.

OBITUARY: Legendary Arizona polar hunter, while searching the Mexican wilderness for new species of pinguiculas, was tragically mauled to death by a pack of 500 chihuahuas. Taco Bell wrappers left at the scene of the incident painted a grizzly tale of big bean burritos and border sauce.

"The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, 500 chihuahuas with Andrew indigestion. Now that is scary !
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast