What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kidney stones

anyone ever heard of a case so bad that it hospitalizes the person and needs to be operated on?

When I was in 6th grade, my dad had really bad abdominal pains. We had to rush him to the emergency room, and turns out it was kidney stones. They had to do surgery on him. The surgery was.....weird. Instead of removing the stones, they ground up the stones almost into a powder, and my dad had to urinate them out.

wtf? if they're already in there why cant they just take them out????

There's a few ways that I know of to "get'em"!

One involves sitting in a tank of water that zaps them with sound waves
and it apparently breaks them up and you pass them,
another is to snake a little basket like thing up there and grab them
(although I can't imagine anything being "little" as far as that goes!),
I have heard of going up there and crushing them, and also a full operation
cutting you open, although that is a last resort sort of thing.
Sometimes the kidney gets so full of them it blocks up the whole kidney,
and they have to get them out or you could lose the kidney, as it shuts down if
totally blocked up, but that is worse case situation.

If you can pass them, it is best. Although takes a while, and is quite painful!
(Actually, extremely painful!)
I had them numerous times when I was in my late 20's early 30's.
It seems that drinking a lot of soda, especially dark colas is one of the biggest causes,
along with not drinking enough water on a regular basis.
As for me, they stopped in frequency eventually, but on rare occasion I still get one.

Not a lot of fun. Once you have one you won't want another!
Good Luck. You are gonna need it!

When I was in 6th grade, my dad had really bad abdominal pains. We had to rush him to the emergency room, and turns out it was kidney stones. They had to do surgery on him. The surgery was.....weird. Instead of removing the stones, they ground up the stones almost into a powder, and my dad had to urinate them out.
:puke:

Oh hell yeah they're going to take you to the hospital. It is some of the worst pain I've ever experienced. If you can imagine getting kicked in the groin and being punched in the stomach simultaneously and prolong this over the course of several hours, that's how it feels. If small enough, you'll pass them on your own - painfully so. The folks at the hospital will give you a sedative to help with the pain but there's little that they can do other than make it a little easier on you. If large enough they must be broken up via ultrasound or removed via surgery.

Well said Brokken!
I didn't want to go into such painful specifics, but yes that is it!
And you are lucky if you can pass them in a few hours.
There were a few times I had them, where it took days or weeks!
(Not totally in pain the whole time, but very uncomfortable
and the pain would come when the stones moved and stopped when it did!)
The pain is when it is "cutting" its way thru the tube!
Which is also what causes blood in the urine.

Oh man, don't remind me! :eek::puke:

I'm never drinking soda again.

Thanks a lot youtube medical videos.

Well i passed two in my sophomore year of highschool....it was one of the single most painful things of my life hahaha...
If you want to avoid surgery, drinking lots and lots of orange juice or other things loaded with citric acid seems to help wear down the "rough edges" of the stones and make them easier to pass....i passed both of mine at the same time in the bathroom, made so much noise screaming that security got called in rofl....needless to say i got sent home from the amount of pain caused by said event, i wasnt able to urinate without it stinging for a week or so and it hurt to lay on my stomach or wear pants on the tighter side...
just my personal experiances....

Yeah, a girl I work with has had several hospitalizations for kidney stones one time was surgery and the other time she sat in a hot tub and they zapped them with a laser. At least that's how she described it. Her late husband and her kids 6, 8 and 10 have also had them. I read in the paper that it's very common nowadays because of all the salt people eat and soda people drink to have kids in the hospital for kidney stones, when I was a kid only "old people" had them.

I quit drinking soda years ago and I don't eat excessive salt, if it's not already in the food I don't add it and I don't generally seek out salty foods cos it seems to burn my tongue. However she cooks everything with a 1/2 sack of MSG and drinks nothing but soda. I don't know if excessive kidney stones leads to kidney failure but her husband just died a few weeks ago because he decided to let his kidneys shut down instead of going through dialysis and extend his chances on the transplant waiting list. Her husband was only a few years older than me and she's a year younger than me. I've never had any of that, luckily, cos I was a code red Mt Dew addict for a decade or so!

Back