Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Imports to the U.S.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, this thread is turning into a nice import/export thread like the small seed lot one a few weeks back. Thanks to everyone who has answered so far :-).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zu

I got my small seed lot permit about a year or two ago, I documented the entire experience in a detailed thread... if you still need help.
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...562#post898562

It was pretty straight forward

Butch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butch - now you've made this into the *everything* import/export thread

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appendix II species require permits:

http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/text.shtml#IV

Article IV

Regulation of Trade in Specimens of Species Included in Appendix II

1. All trade in specimens of species included in Appendix II shall be in accordance with the provisions of this Article.

2. The export of any specimen of a species included in Appendix II shall require the prior grant and presentation of an export permit. An export permit shall only be granted when the following conditions have been met:

(a) a Scientific Authority of the State of export has advised that such export will not be detrimental to the survival of that species;

(b) a Management Authority of the State of export is satisfied that the specimen was not obtained in contravention of the laws of that State for the protection of fauna and flora; and

(c) a Management Authority of the State of export is satisfied that any living specimen will be so prepared and shipped as to minimize the risk of injury, damage to health or cruel treatment.

3. A Scientific Authority in each Party shall monitor both the export permits granted by that State for specimens of species included in Appendix II and the actual exports of such specimens. Whenever a Scientific Authority determines that the export of specimens of any such species should be limited in order to maintain that species throughout its range at a level consistent with its role in the ecosystems in which it occurs and well above the level at which that species might become eligible for inclusion in Appendix I, the Scientific Authority shall advise the appropriate Management Authority of suitable measures to be taken to limit the grant of export permits for specimens of that species.

4. The import of any specimen of a species included in Appendix II shall require the prior presentation of either an export permit or a re-export certificate.

5. The re-export of any specimen of a species included in Appendix II shall require the prior grant and presentation of a re-export certificate. A re-export certificate shall only be granted when the following conditions have been met:

(a) a Management Authority of the State of re-export is satisfied that the specimen was imported into that State in accordance with the provisions of the present Convention; and

(b) a Management Authority of the State of re-export is satisfied that any living specimen will be so prepared and shipped as to minimize the risk of injury, damage to health or cruel treatment.

6. The introduction from the sea of any specimen of a species included in Appendix II shall require the prior grant of a certificate from a Management Authority of the State of introduction. A certificate shall only be granted when the following conditions have been met:

(a) a Scientific Authority of the State of introduction advises that the introduction will not be detrimental to the survival of the species involved; and

(b) a Management Authority of the State of introduction is satisfied that any living specimen will be so handled as to minimize the risk of injury, damage to health or cruel treatment.

7. Certificates referred to in paragraph 6 of this Article may be granted on the advice of a Scientific Authority, in consultation with other national scientific authorities or, when appropriate, international scientific authorities, in respect of periods not exceeding one year for total numbers of specimens to be introduced in such periods.
    On the Appendices themselves you will find the following footnote on the carnivorous plant species:
    http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml
    #1 All parts and derivatives, except:
    a) seeds, spores and pollen (including pollinia);
    b) seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers;
    c) cut flowers of artificially propagated plants; and
    d) fruits and parts and derivatives thereof of artificially propagated plants of the genus Vanilla.
    Barry Rice explains this:
    http://sarracenia.com/faq/faq4340.html
    So it is not necessary to obtain CITES paperwork for those kinds of plant parts/derivatives for Appendix II species. Note that in order to be considered "seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro", the plants must still be in flasks or some other sort of in vitro container! Deflasked, or potted, or bare-root plants that you swear to the heavens were originally derived from in vitro propagation, do not count---you will require permits for these.

Incidentally, it is important to observe that the preceding exemptions are only for materials originally collected legally. If you collect seeds illegally, you are violating the definition of "artificially propagated" as adopted at the 11th Conference of the Parties, i.e.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    Thanks Tony, I'm glad you brought this to my attention as the agent I conversed with over the phone didn't mention anything about a CITES permit since I told her they were hybrids. Do you happen to know why CITES permit is required? I didn't think Appendix II required this?

http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml (ctrl + f 'Sarracenia')
    Ahh you didn't mention hybrids previously. Hybrids should be exempt yes. There is however a little clause that "Plants not clearly qualifying for the exemption must be accompanied by appropriate CITES documents." What constitutes clearly qualifying beats me.. I don't import many Sarracenia hybrids. When I bring in Nepenthes the hybrids are also listed on the CITES documents. Maybe it's to just prevent any issues...
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Ahh you didn't mention hybrids previously. Hybrids should be exempt yes. There is however a little clause that "Plants not clearly qualifying for the exemption must be accompanied by appropriate CITES documents." What constitutes clearly qualifying beats me.. I don't import many Sarracenia hybrids. When I bring in Nepenthes the hybrids are also listed on the CITES documents. Maybe it's to just prevent any issues...
    Ya I realized I hadn't mentioned this in my original post, my mistake. I'm sure the unclear margins are just to give them grounds in a 'what if' situation... In any case before you can even apply for the ppq587 you need to have level access 2 to the USDA site which means applying for it then going to a licensed USDA office that verify your identity in order to clear you.
    I still think though that $70 is a small fee to pay for a potentially lucrative or selective import...

Aren't you excited now Thezyo to see what you get to look forward to?

Butch: Do you remember how long your permit was valid for?

NaN: Thanks for the link

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 75 was for the phyosanitary certificate only Yann. I didnt need a certificate cause what I imported was exempt by the USDA at the time.
    But I did include the letter I had from them stating that fact LOL

One local office I talked to told me that they had no idea and never heard of this stuff, 30 miles away at another office.... "oh yes, thats no problem"

Butch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going through the permit process right now. I can confirm that for importing Appendix II plants you need an export CITES permit and a phytosanitary certificate from the exporting country. If you are exporting plants from the US, the CITES permit is issued from the US Fish and Wildlife Service and a federal phyto certificate is issued through USDA APHIS. If you are importing Appendix I plants, both import and export permits are needed as well as the federal phyto cert. Of course, the costs of these permits will depend on what kind of permits are being applied for. For example, there are several types of CITES permits available: single shipment/house plant, re-export, multiple commercial, etc. Costs for these permits will also depend upon the country of origin. In the US, each of these permits can cost as low as $50 each.

When I finished going through the process and have settled down in Toronto, I will be writing a more detailed how-to as to navigate through the process.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast