Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imports to the U.S.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imports to the U.S.

As I'm sure at least a handful of people on this forum get imports from foreign sources from time to time (be they large B.E. shipments or individual heliamphora.de buys), can you clear up what I'm seeing on a lot of other forums about USDA and border control destroying or sending back most every shipment that has tried to come through the border recently because of some new legislation? I know I'm waiting on some imports and I want to figure out if I should expect to get my plants instead of a legal notice stating that I tried to import some pathogens/illegal pests into the country...I'm hearing that a lot of Exotica imports are getting destroyed/sent back/held back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking to get some Sarrs from overseas and searching and contacting the USDA I am needing the ppq 587 and the source will need to provide a phytosanitary certificate to be placed on the box. Of course it's a different story if the plants you're looking to import are CITES restricted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive only heard that kind of case coming out of exotica plants from australia. i received my BE order 2 weeks ago--all systems go on that. still waiting on wistuba though. :P
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BE guarantees live arrival, so even if they get destroyed in customs for some reason, they will replace or refund. That is their policy. Exotica has had plants destroyed in customs and they do not guarantee live arrival, so if that happens from them, you are out of luck. So I guess it depends on who is sending the plants to you, if they will guarantee arrival or not. I typically refuse to ship outside the US for that reason, and if I do ship anything, I don't guarantee it outside of the US. I do guarantee live arrival inside the US, but so much could go wrong with an international shipment.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yann, about 6 yrs ago I got a NZ phyto certificate.... back then that one cost me 75$ USD
    Get out the party jar of Vaseline and check book

Big owie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya that's about right butch. The 587 is 70 usd. Small price to pay for. These puppies though I forgot to mention to thezyo though that some distributors like wisstuba, there's no need for any paperwork. I don't about places like EP, BE etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    I'm looking to get some Sarrs from overseas and searching and contacting the USDA I am needing the ppq 587 and the source will need to provide a phytosanitary certificate to be placed on the box. Of course it's a different story if the plants you're looking to import are CITES restricted.
    They will also need to provide a CITES export permit as well as a phyto for the Sarracenia. All Sarracenia are appendix II except for the few that are appendix I. You will need an import permit and a protected plant permit.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    They will also need to provide a CITES export permit as well as a phyto for the Sarracenia. All Sarracenia are appendix II except for the few that are appendix I. You will need an import permit and a protected plant permit.
    Thanks Tony, I'm glad you brought this to my attention as the agent I conversed with over the phone didn't mention anything about a CITES permit since I told her they were hybrids. Do you happen to know why CITES permit is required? I didn't think Appendix II required this?

http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml (ctrl + f 'Sarracenia')

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast