What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ohio Carnivorous Plant Society

Hello, all!

Encouraged by recent discussions with other Ohioan CP growers, we have established a new society that I hope will attract more members and continue to grow. If you're an Ohioan on this board and interested in getting involved in organizing this new society, let me know. We plan on setting up meetings, getting involved in conservation efforts of rare habitat, and organizing bog/fen trips.

I'd also encourage those in Michigan, Indiana, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania who are interested in a regional society and are within easy driving distance of most of our meetings to get involved.

You can also visit the website:
http://www.ohcps.org

And sign up for the discussion list (similar to this one) for organization and collaboration:
http://lists.ohcps.org/listinfo.cgi/listserv-ohcps.org

Even though the organization is in its infancy, we hope it will thrive like the other excellent regional CP societies.

Cheers,
Ryan Kitko
Mount Vernon, Ohio

I'm from michigan, but that seems like a cool idea. The more conservation or regular societies the better! (as long as you guys don't compete...) Looking at your website it seems there are a lot public carnivorous plant areas in ohio. There are bogs around me but not many set areas with trails. Good luck!

Now if we could just get a michigan carnivorous plant society...

Wow! Who would have thought! I've lived in Cleveland my entire life. The bogs near Kent have some pretty nice plants. Can't wait to take a look at this!

I'm from michigan, but that seems like a cool idea. The more conservation or regular societies the better! (as long as you guys don't compete...) Looking at your website it seems there are a lot public carnivorous plant areas in ohio. There are bogs around me but not many set areas with trails. Good luck!

Now if we could just get a michigan carnivorous plant society...

The only way to start one is to get in touch with other CP enthusiasts from Michigan and get one going! There are some amazing areas in the upper peninsula and you have a boatload more CP species in Michigan than we do down here! You've got D. linearis, D. anglica, and even a Pinguicula! If you ever get one going, maybe we could hold joint meetings every now and then for those that can make it.

Cheers,
Ryan

I've tried to get one going with a few others in my area. But after one meeting the others have become unreachable for over a year.
I just found another CP'er that lives 10 minutes from me, but she has also become unresponsive since I mentioned a meeting.
Maybe it's me.. I dunno. ???

Back