Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil slick bigger than Exxon-Valdez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billylh View Post
    BOP is a necessary component. It's not something they can just skimp on. Besides, many reports and photographs show that there is infact a BOP stack and show the underwater control panel. They just can't seem to get the thing shut. After having worked on training material for the multiple oil companies like Chevron, BP, Halliburton, Schlumberger, Anadarko and many more, I can tell you that the only odd thing to me is that they only mentioned being unable to activate the shearing ram, my question is what about the blind rams(which crushes the entire pipe and closes off the annulus), or the pipe ram(which just closes off the annulus)?
    I have the same questions. Do you know where the energy to activate the BOPs are kept in really deep subsea operations like this?

i personally think they hit a pocket of higher pressure while drilling through the various layers of the formation and workers didnt compensate or adjust the mud to handle it.
    This would be the normal assumption since that's typically when danger is highest. However, check out my previous posts. One of the links states that they were done drilling and had actually cemented casing. Typically this is like re-locking up the formation. The well can then be closed up and just sit there for an indefinite period. In fact, this is fairly normal as rigs drill wells, run casing and then cap them as the production facilities are being built. If that post is accurate (& it appeared to be), something very unusual appeared to have happened here....

I agree with rattler though, oil seepage occur and mother nature handles it just fine in most cases, but most seepages are not quite the estimated 5000 barrels a day.
    Distributed, widespread leakage is very different than a point source of this magnitude...

A relief well, pfft, what a joke.....
    Not sure what you mean? This & the 'dome' seem like the only alternatives ... & it's going to take some time - wowza!
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I have the same questions. Do you know where the energy to activate the BOPs are kept in really deep subsea operations like this?
    In everything I ever worked on, it was always hydraulics lines that run to the subsea bop from the rig or production platform with the riser....if the riser is gone, there is usually clusters of hydraulic tanks on the sea floor either attached to the bop or sits on the side of the bop as a separate unit. maybe the rig sank on it and destroyed the tanks?

This would be the normal assumption since that's typically when danger is highest. However, check out my previous posts. One of the links states that they were done drilling and had actually cemented casing. Typically this is like re-locking up the formation. The well can then be closed up and just sit there for an indefinite period. In fact, this is fairly normal as rigs drill wells, run casing and then cap them as the production facilities are being built. If that post is accurate (& it appeared to be), something very unusual appeared to have happened here....
    unusual indeed, i've read a couple of different things but you're post had me thinking, and i havent a clue, there usually isnt any "surprise" pressure after the drilling process is done and the well is capped...was it capped or just cemented?

also, even for the drilling process, they have to cement the casings, starting with the conductor casing then the intermediates, and so on in place in sections as they get deeper using smaller and smaller drill bits. dont know if im explaining this right...but i know it in my head...

Not sure what you mean? This & the 'dome' seem like the only alternatives ... & it's going to take some time - wowza!
    They're talking 3 months to drill a relief well without stopping the flow, thats all i really meant by "pfft, what a joke"

~billy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, good to know all that. I don't have a clue when it comes to knowing anything about industrial machining safety. I don't watch TV so I don't know if they're saying anything on the news, but I presume that some big BP rep will go on record with an official statement soon, and I'm sure they'll have a hoarde of people analyzing the disaster for a good month at least, so we'll get some answers.

It wasn't a conspiracy theory so much as ... well I dunno what I was thinking because I've got nuthin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In everything I ever worked on, it was always hydraulics lines that run to the subsea bop from the rig or production platform with the riser....if the riser is gone, there is usually clusters of hydraulic tanks on the sea floor either attached to the bop or sits on the side of the bop as a separate unit. maybe the rig sank on it and destroyed the tanks?
    I thought I read that it's sitting ~1300 ft away. I've read a few places that there is a kink in the pipe which is reducing the flow - that's probably the riser remnant...

unusual indeed, i've read a couple of different things but you're post had me thinking, and i havent a clue, there usually isnt any "surprise" pressure after the drilling process is done and the well is capped...was it capped or just cemented?
    From what I read, the casing is cemented. However, once the casing is in & cemented - the production zones are sealed in - unless somebody screwed something up - which obviously had to be the case ...

also, even for the drilling process, they have to cement the casings, starting with the conductor casing then the intermediates, and so on in place in sections as they get deeper using smaller and smaller drill bits. dont know if im explaining this right...but i know it in my head...
    Yup - that's the way it works - from the 1st pipe they 'spud' in - it keeps getting smaller...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here's the latest news I've seen (offa digg) - something about cement might have done it in.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...564769072.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    out of 4,000 oil structures in the Gulf (active and capped wells) one has caused major problems......dont think cementing itself is the problem.....may be a screw up in cementing this particular well or something like that but the process itself is a pretty good one.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rattler - I'm not saying the process is bad at all, so hopefully you didn't take it that way. I just figured that seeing as how I started this thread, I might as well keep it updated in case anyone is following what is happening, because I'm sure interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to me the tone of the article was pointing fingers at the cementing process as a whole , wasnt directing my response at you per-say, just the article......as a whole the process is sound......on individual wells however someone can screw up and not do it right and the cementing on that particular well is screwed up, that can and does happen occasionally....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast