Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golden Pheasants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somehow they've stood each other for 35 years though he still intends to buy a property in Belize when he retires "whether she comes with or not" but I bet that never happens, he'll just never retire.

She puts up with a lot (the big lizards, fish, kids and grand kids in and out all the time, her own birds, etc.) but she seemed to have something against the big birds in the house. I guess it was just the "limit" that everyone is said to have! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've often thought I would like to live in a tropical paradise too, but I'm not sure how I would handle all of the tropical biting insects. I think those would be my limit.

What kinds of birds does she keep?

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they are Lovebirds and Parakeets but I'm not much for IDing birds.

My uncles pal came back from Costa Rica and he asked his wife to take a look at this welt on his back, she squeezed it and a grub popped out. I think I'd freak out if I had a big maggot inside me, like a horror novel!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh eww, that's the nastiest thing I've heard in a while and actually everyone who I know who has gone down to Costa Rica or Belize or the like have come back with horror tales of parasites. *shudder*

I liked Vermont because it's too cold for critters to try that hard where I'm from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like the botfly larvae that gets injected by a mosquito. I've not seen that in person, but have seen it on TV. It's really disgusting. That is one good reason not to live in a tropical climate!

My first bird was a parakeet. They're fun, but nothing like the larger species. Good pets for more people than the full sized parrots and macaws though.

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's so many horrific parasites in the tropical jungles and I don't want to be infested by any of them. Unfortunately so many cool plants and animals come from those same jungles.

Some people are keeping medical leeches as exotic pets... I'm not into worms of any type and a leech is just an awful aquatic worm as far as I'm concerned! LOL

I don't think I'd like to have a bird of any kind myself. I'm mostly a hands off type of pet owner, things in vivarium habitats is good for me so I can go about my other activities after the daily maintenance and viewing of the critters. I have 2 cats but they keep themselves busy in and out of the house most of the time. Unless I'm busy with some project, then they have to come and insist on "helping".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to know what pet isn't for you before just going out and buying one. You're ahead of a lot of people in that way.

Leeches... yuck.

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome utilization of leeches in forensics.... http://www.the-scientist.com/article/display/57168/

I am also fond of Lady Amherst pheasants...never had any birds more exotic than chickens so no advice on that. Except maybe if your uncle does go about buying them to second the idea to try to get chicks or eggs from a local source. Eggs over the internet can be iffy due to shipping.

I've ordered eggs twice. One time 12/12 and not a single chick, another 6/6 all eggs produced chicks (although 5/6 were males but I can't blame the seller for sexing them in eggero (as opposed to in utero) and sending me all the males he doesn't want )) So basically in conclusion my advice is ordering eggs can be a bit of a gamble with success levels from 0-100% and everywhere in between.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast