Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Golden Pheasants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Golden Pheasants?

Just wondering if anyone here has raised Golden Pheasants? I showed my uncle a link to purchase them off ebay and I'm hoping he'll get some for his farm in Wisconsin since he's into exotic pets (iguanas, birds, fish...) and his wife made him sell the scarlet macaws (too loud). He raised pheasants and quail when I was a kid but these are so much cooler than the game pheasants he used to raise.

example from google:

If you have experience with them I'd like hear from you what is good or bad about them compared to regular pheasants and then I'll pass my uncle the link.

I sure hope he gets 'em - I know I can't have em in the condo!
    Last edited by swords; 05-12-2010 at 08:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... and his wife made him sell the scarlet macaws ...
    Had it been me, I would have showed her the door. lol Birds make better housemates than a spouse. They make less noise, talk back less, make less mess, and spend less money. lol

Be careful who you buy from on ebay. A lot of the sellers of various fowl there are in the habit of using photos from other sources to sell their stock and you often don't get to actually see the line you are buying.

You're better off to buy from a reputable breeder than buying anything from ebay, unless you find a breeder you know selling there.

I've never raised them myself, but know people who do. I'm told they aren't that difficult. They just need a predator proof large aviary with perches, something to hide around, and a shelter they can get into.

A friend who is one of the moderators on my forum raises them. If your uncle would like, he could contact him to see if he has anything available. This is his website.

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She has several cages of smaller birds and doesn't mind his huge iguanas it was just those two. They were pretty loud to have in the house when they didn't get constant attention but they were a lot of fun to interact with since they talked and all that.

Thanks for those links I'll pass them along!

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen them at zoos, pretty bird.
    Did not know you could buy them off ebay....

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they selling eggs or chicks? I wouldn't buy chicks from a random eBay seller because of the risk of disease transmission.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when they didn't get constant attention
    That would be the key phrase. I've spent extended stays in homes with African Greys, Amazons, etc. They aren't that noisy if you have the space for them and can give them a lot of attention. My peeve is people who get them, can't give them the attention they need, and then dump them onto someone else. Often times, it keeps going that way for them. They're like having small kids. Would you ever leave a two year old alone and unattended in a cage? Same rule with any of the Psittaciformes. Changing homes and owners is hard on a bird. Just like any other animal, they need a "forever home" and should not be passed around from one place to another. IMHO I hope that at least this time they will have a lasting home with better prepared handlers.

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eggs only, I don't think selling live chicks is allowed.

His macaws had free run of the house roosting in his palms in the big living room with 2 story ceiling only in the cage at night, lots of children/people to interact with but she never wanted him to get them so every little thing was one more thing on the list. They went back to their original owner, who had paid my uncle for replumbing her house with the pair.

They were loud though, even when they were playing around. I know my neighbors would freak out, I don't even have dart frogs cos I'm afraid they might bother the neighbors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like they had a good habitat there. It can be tough finding someone who wants the same things in life as you. Too bad she didn't take to the birds the way he apparently did. How is your aunt with the idea of the pheasants?

Speaking of dart frogs, as soon as my terrarium get filled in some more I need to post some pics. I don't have the frogs yet, but one I get growing the plants down, I'll start saving for a couple.

David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast