What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

malaria/ carnivorous plant research in the news!

I have to say I seriously doubt it... The range they can live in and the dent they could make I don't think is very much... unless maybe they mean masses of huge utrics in the water to eat larvae :)

i can see aquatic utrics being a very likely candidate for the test. the question is---will their invasive nature impact the surrounding areas and throw off the biodiversity?

I tend to agree, but $100K should clear up any doubt!

I have to say I seriously doubt it... The range they can live in and the dent they could make I don't think is very much... unless maybe they mean masses of huge utrics in the water to eat larvae :)

"First, the mosquito issue. Carnivorous plants just do not attract mosquitoes. Carnivorous plants have sugary nectars that attract insects that like sugar: flies, moths, butterflies, etc. Certainly, the occasional misguided mosquito may get caught, but the plants will not make a dent into your insect plague. Indeed, growing carnivorous plants might even worsen your mosquito problems because you must grow these plants with lots of water. Trays filled with water are great mosquito breeding grounds, comprende? "

http://sarracenia.com/faq/faq1740.html

I would certainly think twice before giving 100K to a useless cause... IMHO. :)

@petmantis: female mosquitoes are blood suckers, but the males are actually nectar feeders.

it takes two to tango.
there's more than one way to skin a cat.

capeesh?

but with that being said, it seems to be more effective to take out the larvae stage than the adult since you would be targeting both males and females and not just one sex.

"DDT is good for MEEEEE!!!"

I saw this somewhere in popular science. I believe they said something about one of the chemicals that it produces could be beneficial in the prevention of mosquitos. not sure though.

Sundew Sundews Sundews.

i wonder if they would give me that much money to study if U gibba will cut down on the mosquitoes that cause West Nile Virus
Anyone know how to write a proposal?

Back