What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lightbulb at night to attract insects

Has anyone tried hanging an incandescent light over their plants at night? I can't foresee any pitfalls except moths laying eggs on my sarracenia. If no one has tried this maybe I should take one for the team. Carnivorous plant team.

I get lots of moths around my plants at night due to the porch lights. Tons of them infact, at the same time i notice the increase in pitchers being eaten when developing...personally i think its a bad combination...

~billy

Oh snap, I am not going to take one for the team.

bug zapper them and toast them in the oven like Joseph Clemens described. Then grind up and feed powder to plants.

MTF

I use my fog light in my back yard at night every so often during summer and fall. I do it to attack mantids other bugs to take pictures of... not so my plants can eat. They manage to do what they do by themselves... attract, catch, and digest bugs.

bug zapper them and toast them in the oven like Joseph Clemens described. Then grind up and feed powder to plants.

MTF

Might not be such a bad idea. I lent my neighbor my bug zapper and he had to sweep his porch step in the morning. That was a few years back, before I grew cp's.

Back