What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greater Northwest Carnivorous Plant Society

So, from a recent thread ive been inspired to try and get this going again, it was a pretty bum response last time which made me rather sad, but there is quite a few of us up here who really want to get something going. If you have a facebook and are in the northwest and would like to join (this is opened for those who would like to make the commute from southern parts of canada as well), PLEASE by all means, sign up, i really would like to see something get going for us and hopefully get a real society going, since we so desperately need one lol

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=360593762557

if i get a good enough response in the group or via PM on here, i will try and come up with the best possible date and location for everyone...

ive been thinking about this too. didnt really know where to start though.......

edit: actually i just couldnt really think of a name :p

Why greater NWCPS, not just NWCPS?

it is NWCPS justjack, greater northwest means the actual northwest portion of the US. (Oregon, Washington, Northern Cali, any neighbors who really want to attend)

The best way to start a carnivorous plant society is to just start one, but you need to make sure that when you do start one, that you have a few individuals already onboard who have experience with the business side of things.

yeah i have a few that are already on board, and a couple that are experienced with business...would you by any chance be interested in joining kayaker? rofl ;D

That would probably depend on the leadership....

SK I understand what greater means. Greater is an umbrella term. Without other nwcp societies greater seemed a mute point, not that i was thinking it was a big deal at all.

I think it would be really cool to have something up here for us. When you're thinking of N. Cal., they're way closer to SF. Personally living in S. OR, Portland and SF are almost equal distances. I would still prefer the NW option personally.

“Greater” is a term that is open to interpretation and therefore may mean something different from one person to the next. If it were up to me, I would not use that term. Northwest is more descriptive by itself implying Oregon, Idaho and Washington State. I don’t know many people in Northern California but I believe those in the most northern part also associate themselves with the Northwest. I think that in order for an organization to form and succeed it needs to have an impartial leadership structure that won’t take things personally.

Well of course I'm interested. Did it have to be a Facebook group? I hate Facebook... grumble grumble grumble.
~Joe

Well i have a group on my website as well, i havent done anything to it so if you sign up here (its just basically another forum, we can start treating this as a member place instead of facebook xD
http://westcoastcarnivores.webs.com/

I for one, think Greater NorthWest Carnivorous Plant Society sounds much better than plain-ol' NorthWest Carnivorous Plant Society.
Go with it!

I'm sure some of the Officers in the New England Carnivorous Plant Society might have some tips on how to get a CP Society organized and off the ground. Try an contact em and maybe some of the other CP Society's out there and they might give you an idea of what it would take.

What are you're goals? Shows? conservation? Education? Just meeting up and hanging out?

Did it have to be a Facebook group? I hate Facebook... grumble grumble grumble.
~Joe

I agree...it pains me to log into Facebook (gimme lamebook.com anyday). We could try out your site Kris and go from there.

Back