Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe TDS Range?

animal lover, aquarium and CP enthusiast MidnightSkies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safe TDS Range?

Just got the reverse osmosis unit installed yesterday and the water after being treated reads 40 ppm. Would this be safe for all CPs? I've heard everything from under 100 to under 20. I do have quite a few undrained pots of plants also. Would this be a problem? Previously I have always used distilled water. This is also water softened with potassium, so I don't know if any amount of the potassium left over would be a danger for CPs.

I'm also curious, for those of you with reverse osmosis units, what is your TDS reading before and after treatment? Mine started at around 400 ppm and is down to 40 ppm today.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually am about to check the TDS on the RO system from my parents house (where I get all my water now).

Although...if u have lots of live sphagnum growing ...remember that you will see a increase in algae growth and sheet moss and some sphagnum will start dying. But given enough time...it should adapt and grow back. I find spahgnum to be extremely sensitive to water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkies View Post
    I'm also curious, for those of you with reverse osmosis units, what is your TDS reading before and after treatment? Mine started at around 400 ppm and is down to 40 ppm today.
    Depending on the day: 190-350 >>> 4-8 ppm
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine starts somewhere between 500 - 700 depending on the time of year and reduces down to 10 to 18. Anything under 50 is typically fine for most CPs. If you just installed the RO system, give it more time. It might still come down some after it's been runnig a few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    500+ before, 1 or 0 after. Works really well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkies View Post
    Just got the reverse osmosis unit installed yesterday and the water after being treated reads 40 ppm. Would this be safe for all CPs? I've heard everything from under 100 to under 20. I do have quite a few undrained pots of plants also. Would this be a problem? Previously I have always used distilled water. This is also water softened with potassium, so I don't know if any amount of the potassium left over would be a danger for CPs.

In the last five years, I have killed the membranes of two RO systems with the mineral-laden water out here (anywhere between 500-750 ppm); and the usual reading from the system was around 15-20 ppm. It usually goes down after a bit; but anything below 50 ppm should be fine and the live sphagnum I use for many plants have seen far worse.

Having a TDS meter on hand should be a primary concern for all of us.

Good luck . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

animal lover, aquarium and CP enthusiast MidnightSkies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured the numbers might go down a little still. It's hardly had any water run through it yet, just the filling and draining of the holding tank (~3 gallons). Based on the numbers everyone else has it looks like I'll be more safe as time goes on. Maybe I'll stick with finishing up the distilled water first and using the RO for drinking and fish tanks for a while. At least I hope the numbers go down at least since everyone else has such a big difference.

Thanks everyone. At least now I don't have to be so worried about losing anymore plants (didn't have the best winter this year)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed that while my tds readings are very good, a lot of calcium is still in the water. My humidifier gets coated with it after about a month. It hasn't coated anything else though. But still I thought that if that much calcium is being missed it would show up on tds readings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast