What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bluebird house

• Thread starter uphwiz
  • Start date

uphwiz

jimmy
anyone know how large the hole in a blue bird house should be:poke:. i know it needs to be just the right size or they wont use the house or other predator birds can invade

I can remember that my family used to make them in the wood shop when I was growing up, but I couldn't remember the hole size. It's been too long ago. So I looked it up. Hope that helps. :)

http://www.wild-bird-watching.com/Blue_Bird_House.html

Here's just a small segment of the article, "Blue Birds prefer a house that has and entry hole of 1 1/2 inches for eastern and western species and 1 9/16 inches wherever mountain bluebirds may be.
The floor should be between 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 inches square and the floor should be 5 to 8 inches below the entry hole.

Do not add or buy any birdhouse with a perch. The birds don't need it, whereas house sparrows, starlings and other blue bird preadators will have easy access if perches are used."

thanks Indiana,
here is a shot of the old house which was on the ground , i built the new house yesterday and placed the nest and one egg in it , to day there is another egg making two yipiee ,
IMG_1957.jpg
[/IMG].
IMG_1955.jpg

yea this is the old one ill get a pic in a day or two of the new one i just built to replace it, thats why i was asking about the hole size this was just supposed to be decoration , but you can see the birds didnt know that LOL

Back