Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: branding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, when i stayed out with my grandparents, branding was a pretty common thing, and like rattler says, is the law, if your running a farm that is, and while it appears cruel and inhumane, its actually the only way to permanently mark your cattle, and like rattler says, they will be dead in a little over a year and a half anyway...its common practice in any state, and in nearly any form of livestock raising, be it cow, bison, beefalo (lolol, half standard bovine and half bison), even sheep and goat.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought branding is only required in open range states.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've accidentally burned myself enough to leave scars on a wood burner, hot glue gun, wood stove door, hot pots and pans, you name it. It doesn't hurt that bad. I'm still living. Branding cattle is a necessity unless the rancher wants to be stolen blind.

Most livestock is marked in some way. Even some exhibition poultry are tattooed with the breeders name or an ID number. Whether it's a $1,000 steer or a $150+ show bird, there's always someone who wants it for themselves and aren't afraid to take whatever isn't marked.

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    I thought branding is only required in open range states.
    13 states still have open range laws on the books....Montana is one of them....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured that; I was responding to SitKristoff saying it's common in any state. I'm not sure it's so common in the east. I'm fascinated by open range laws, which I first heard about when my parents moved to AZ, where cattle have more rights than people. At least when it comes to entering someone else's property.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    west of the Mississippi its pretty common, but ppl out here also run more head on more ground than most back east cause the forage is usually a lot lower quality so yah need more acres per cow.....

as for the open range laws.....basically they state here that you have to fence your land to keep cattle out, but given the steers are worth a grand at market most ranchers look to fence their cattle in, atleast around here....course if the neighbors bull repeatedly busts through your properly maintained fence and the owner of the bull refuses to do something about it you can put the animal down, just have to leave it lay, you cant take the meat or make a profit off the animal.....but you better have it well documented that its been a continuous problem....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, cattle in AZ are pretty much free to go where ever and to do whatever they want, fence or no fence. It's a wild west artifact of legal system, but I don't mind it so much because anyone who is bothered by it probably shouldn't be living where they are.
    Bruce in CT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123