What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

branding

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
got a half inch of rain yesterday and they were calling for more today so i thought my uncle Jack's branding was gonna be called off but it didnt rain any more and the wind came up and dried stuff out enough so that it was a go so my brother came and drug me and Kate out of bed this morning....

Untitled-99.jpg

Untitled-50.jpg

busted knee and all Kate was helping
Untitled-43.jpg

Kate and my brother Sam...
Untitled-31.jpg

Untitled-38.jpg

Untitled-79.jpg

Kate and my Cousin
Untitled-46.jpg

the boys and Kate were getting tired so the youngin' stepped in to help
Untitled-67.jpg

Untitled-51.jpg

my uncle Dave's horse saying high to Duke....
Untitled-86.jpg

Kate introducing The Weasel to Dave's horse
Untitled-92.jpg

They still brand cattle?

I know that they did it to prevent selling of stolen cattle....but do people still steal them?

This is literal branding? I think it's a cruel and mostly pointless practice nowadays.

legally i would say they have to be branded most everywhere, its the law in Montana and Wyoming i know.....how else they gonna do it?

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

This is literal branding? I think it's a cruel and mostly pointless practice nowadays.

its a permanent mark to show whos cattle they are......given ppl still steal cattle its an important thing to do.....

ROTFLMAO 6th pic!!!

to prevent the pain, couldnt the farmer tir pink bands around the neck or ankle to indentify,(indentification is by the color or number on the band) like what carrier pigions have.

to prevent the pain, couldnt the farmer tir pink bands around the neck or ankle to indentify,(indentification is by the color or number on the band) like what carrier pigions have.
The main reason cattle are branded is to prevent them from being stolen, as to show that the cattle is theirs (like when you write your name on your personal belongings)
If it wasn't something permanent, like a band, the thief could simply remove it and claim the animal is theirs.

If the thief also brands cattle, what does that prove? As in if everyone does it. The only way it would be a problem is with a large corporation or something.

whats permanent about that? anyone could remove that one and replace it with their own......as i said ppl still steal cattle, guy last year here was charged with stealing about 100 head over the last 3 years....brands were the only reason they were able to prove the majority....besides the bands would be a danger, in order to be half way permanent they would have to be strong enough they would likely strangle the cow if it got hung up in the brush....

its temporary pain and besides they are gonna be dead in 18 months anyway......they are angus, beef cows....

whats permanent about that? anyone could remove that one and replace it with their own......as i said ppl still steal cattle, guy last year here was charged with stealing about 100 head over the last 3 years....brands were the only reason they were able to prove the majority....besides the bands would be a danger, in order to be half way permanent they would have to be strong enough they would likely strangle the cow if it got hung up in the brush....

its temporary pain and besides they are gonna be dead in 18 months anyway......they are angus, beef cows....

Interesting, I didn't know there was still a market for stealing cattle.....

If the thief also brands cattle, what does that prove? As in if everyone does it. The only way it would be a problem is with a large corporation or something.

you can have a cow that doesnt have your brand but you have to have the paper work to go with it......its pretty obvious when you try and cover up an old brand with a new one, you have new scar tissue over old.....besides your brand has to go on a specific place on the cow, my uncles are all branded high center on the left side....some ppls are branded on the shoulder, some on the flank some on the right side.....kind of a pain to get stuff to match up with yours if your gonna brand over top of someone elses.....havent found anything that works better than a brand.....

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

at 18-22 months they are worth about $1,000 give or take as its based on weight.......for steers and meat heifers...producing heifers and bulls are worth more......

im in the middle of cattle country, lots of land, few ppl, easy to steal cows......

When you tally up the bad things that cattle experience, branding ranks pretty low on the list.

prolly starting with they are born when we are still seeing -30 at night.........

Hahahahaha! Yes cattle are branded still. They're not born inside McD's or Jack in the Crack. Cattle theft is as high as car theft in almost all parts of the nation. Putting my dogs on a leash is kinda cruel too, but without that and their harness they might be killed by a car or the local "shelter".

I've read several articles recently that cattle theft is recently increasing & becoming a major problem (here's one from a google search).

Yep, when i stayed out with my grandparents, branding was a pretty common thing, and like rattler says, is the law, if your running a farm that is, and while it appears cruel and inhumane, its actually the only way to permanently mark your cattle, and like rattler says, they will be dead in a little over a year and a half anyway...its common practice in any state, and in nearly any form of livestock raising, be it cow, bison, beefalo (lolol, half standard bovine and half bison), even sheep and goat.....

I thought branding is only required in open range states.

I've accidentally burned myself enough to leave scars on a wood burner, hot glue gun, wood stove door, hot pots and pans, you name it. It doesn't hurt that bad. I'm still living. Branding cattle is a necessity unless the rancher wants to be stolen blind.

Most livestock is marked in some way. Even some exhibition poultry are tattooed with the breeders name or an ID number. Whether it's a $1,000 steer or a $150+ show bird, there's always someone who wants it for themselves and aren't afraid to take whatever isn't marked.

David

Back