Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Career change...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Career change...

I was thinkin' really heavily about going out to Diver School to be an Army Diver.. I've been doing some reading and its very physically demanding. I'd really like to do something like this. But a problem is I don't know how to do the breaststroke or half stroke but ive got a year so yeah.. I've already begun reading the Navy Dive Book (interesting history btw) and will begin to condition myself for the physical training aspect tomorrow. http://www.627dive.com/want-to-be-a-diver gives the following recommendations. Any info on deep diving or basic diving would be awesome! Yes I can swim but it aint pretty and I float like a half full styrofoam cup.
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistAdam View Post
    I float like a half full styrofoam cup.
    LMFAO! well i guess that getting better at swimming (and staying afloat)is a pretty obvious suggestion? but all kidding aside you really should spend as much time in the water as you can get. going to the beach and swimming against the current will also build up your arms (no matter how many weights you lift and how strong you are..trust me you'll be hurting lol). uhhh what else...oh yea i forgot condition yourself to holding your breath longer.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're too young to call it a career change but, if you have an opportunity to do something that inspires you, go for it. It's nice to see someone say, "...its very physically demanding. I'd really like to do something like this."
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jafvortex93 View Post
    oh yea i forgot condition yourself to holding your breath longer.
    How can i do that? Any techniques or just breathe deep as I can and hold it? C'mon I'm a duck outta water here!
    I can swim, but like I said its mostly what I picked up as a kid.. nothin' more than a modified doggie paddle.
    PLEASE more suggestions!! I'm GOING to pass this training, period, but help would be amazing. I want this too badly to fail out.
    The Buddha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im (ALMOST) completely sure that just simple running and laps in a pool religously will increase lung power (any cardio excersise). which will turn to being able to hold your breath underwater but another thing you must factor in is the survival instinct that you WILL face. when you feel yourself out of breath you gotta remember that thats your mind telling you that your drowning. your lungs can hold out for 30 seconds or so after that frantic feeling sets in, just relax and stay calm.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sit at the bottom of a pool and time yourself. Rinse repeat. Find some deep water and work on depth. Many sources online to help guide w/ this method.

Have you seen that recent series on the National Geographic Channel about professional divers? It was a very interesting show. Try and catch a rerun of it. Here is a link to it: http://channel.nationalgeographic.co.../4907/Overview

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    swampdonkey- that's a bit hard considerin' I'm still in Iraq.. But thanks I'll check it out anyway!

jafvortex93- yeah I figured that much.. I just don't know whats better running wise- sprints or long distance?
    The Buddha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mix it up, thats the best i can tell you. sprinting will give you the toned physique, muscular build, and add to how long it takes you to fatigue. and long distance adds to all that but also improving sustained lung power. sprinting will make you pant but you will not be breathing efficiently. where as jogging/running you will get a fast pace with proper breathing techniques. what i like to do while i run is pretty much the lamase breathing for women in labor. prevents passing out and gives you plenty of oxygen =]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast