User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on Unusual Plants to Grow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lithops is the common "living stone" you're thinking of, my fave living stones are the Pseudolithos which don't look anything like a rock but more like a chunk of scaly green or brown reptile flesh growing out of a pot of grit. I don't have too many succulents anymore just Pseudolithos, Dorstenias, a couple Euphorbias and some thornless cacti.

I only did Lithops from seed once when one of my blooms ended up getting pollinated. I got germination (on Shultz aquatic plant soil = clay grit) but when I went to expose them to ambient humidity I made too big of a leap on opening the ziplock and fried 'em.

If you want a link to the most comprehensive succulent seed source in the US send me a PM.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyedPiper View Post
    Great suggestions, guys. Keep 'em coming.

I'll probably definetly do the mimosa plants. I just don't want 15 of them. 10 seeds should suit me fine- 2 per cup and I can give some plants away. That leaves 10 more cups to fill...

Anyone ever try banana trees? Those miniature ones are fascinating to me. They even produce tiny banans you can eat.

Also a possibility is a "telegraph plant", another plant capable of movement. I think it might trip me out to see my plant moving around in the windowsill though .

How about any suggestions on succulents? "Living stones" look pretty cool. Don't know how they do from seed though.

I would also be into anything that could be a good bonsai plant. I'm growing two black pines in the same dish right now and they're doing great. I've been thinking bald cypress look pretty cool and would make a unique bonsai. They would also like the same types of waterlogged conditions as my CP's.
    All living things should be addressed by their Latin names.

~ Timmy

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a number of little pines and cedars that have popped up in my outdoor pots. They do seem to enjoy the boggish conditions, and they've been quite easy and durable. I used to pull them out because I thought they were little weeds or something, but now that I know what to look for I let them grow whenever I see them coming up on the edge of pots where they won't disturb the main specimen. They seem to take on a bonsai look all on their own just from being grown in shallow, waterlogged conditions.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyedPiper View Post
    Anyone ever try banana trees? Those miniature ones are fascinating to me. They even produce tiny banans you can eat.
    I tried and rot/melted a mini banana plant a couple of years ago. They love water, but need to drain and you should NEVER let them stand in water. Honestly, take regular potting soil, mix in extra perlite, and just pour water through the mix like you would an orchid/nepenthes just to be on the safe side. It was a very cute plant (think I got it off Amazon.com) and grew pretty quickly until it turned brown and mushy....

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post

~ Timmy
    That's a statement of preference, not fact.

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

~ Timmy
    You won't find too many people who know the scientific names for any of their plants. For me, the scientific name mostly has a place when talking about different species within a genus. For example, you wouldn't just say "sundew" when talking about a D. capensis or another specific species as you wouldn't know what you are talking about. However, other plants, such as miracle fruit plants or fly traps are easily recognizable by their common names and it's perfectly acceptable to use them.
    Last edited by Sig; 05-28-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

~ Timmy
    OK, Homo Sapiens "Timmy". I forgot we're all scientists here.

Im not going to google latin names for plants I don't even own. I think people know what I'm talking about. Thanks though.
    Last edited by FlyedPiper; 05-28-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lithops and am getting ready to take the jump into trying to raise them from seed. It sounds a little easy but we weill see. The other one that I am going to try is ASTROPHYTUM ASTERIAS cv. SUPER KABUTO cactus. There are several forms out there and that form is my favorite. You might also look into Conophytum, they are similar to Lithops and some are very interesting looking.
    I am going to get a seed tray and order some seeds when I get paid, if you get any of these take lots of pictures as they grow so that we all can enjoy your new plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James H View Post
    I have lithops and am getting ready to take the jump into trying to raise them from seed. It sounds a little easy but we weill see. The other one that I am going to try is ASTROPHYTUM ASTERIAS cv. SUPER KABUTO cactus. There are several forms out there and that form is my favorite. You might also look into Conophytum, they are similar to Lithops and some are very interesting looking.
    I am going to get a seed tray and order some seeds when I get paid, if you get any of these take lots of pictures as they grow so that we all can enjoy your new plants.
    Will do. Thanks for the advice.

Btw, the burpee kit is pretty cool with the soil pellets in it already when you decide to start your seeds. I got mine from Lowes and it wasn't too expensive. You just bury the whole cup in the soil when the seedling gets a few inches tall (it's made from coconut husk or something) so there isn't any root exposure. Not sure what kind of medium is in those pellets though . It even comes with a little organic seedling fertilizer in a packet. Should work for starting most plants from seed (not CP's of course).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast