What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions on Unusual Plants to Grow?

All living things should be addressed by their Latin names.

~ Timmy

You won't find too many people who know the scientific names for any of their plants. For me, the scientific name mostly has a place when talking about different species within a genus. For example, you wouldn't just say "sundew" when talking about a D. capensis or another specific species as you wouldn't know what you are talking about. However, other plants, such as miracle fruit plants or fly traps are easily recognizable by their common names and it's perfectly acceptable to use them.

Last edited:
All living things should be addressed by their Latin names.

~ Timmy

:rolleyes: OK, Homo Sapiens "Timmy". I forgot we're all scientists here.

Im not going to google latin names for plants I don't even own. I think people know what I'm talking about. Thanks though.

Last edited:
I have lithops and am getting ready to take the jump into trying to raise them from seed. It sounds a little easy but we weill see. The other one that I am going to try is ASTROPHYTUM ASTERIAS cv. SUPER KABUTO cactus. There are several forms out there and that form is my favorite. You might also look into Conophytum, they are similar to Lithops and some are very interesting looking.
I am going to get a seed tray and order some seeds when I get paid, if you get any of these take lots of pictures as they grow so that we all can enjoy your new plants.

I have lithops and am getting ready to take the jump into trying to raise them from seed. It sounds a little easy but we weill see. The other one that I am going to try is ASTROPHYTUM ASTERIAS cv. SUPER KABUTO cactus. There are several forms out there and that form is my favorite. You might also look into Conophytum, they are similar to Lithops and some are very interesting looking.
I am going to get a seed tray and order some seeds when I get paid, if you get any of these take lots of pictures as they grow so that we all can enjoy your new plants.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

Btw, the burpee kit is pretty cool with the soil pellets in it already when you decide to start your seeds. I got mine from Lowes and it wasn't too expensive. You just bury the whole cup in the soil when the seedling gets a few inches tall (it's made from coconut husk or something) so there isn't any root exposure. Not sure what kind of medium is in those pellets though :blush:. It even comes with a little organic seedling fertilizer in a packet. Should work for starting most plants from seed (not CP's of course).

i only skimmed though the thread but, well, what about air plants? err... sorry i mean "tillandsia"

Don't forget Ceropegia ampliata and Aristolochia gigantea.

Hmmm. Air plants are looking pretty cool. Might have to pick it up when I get my neps and red sundew.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh BTW, keep them FAR away from your cats! mine love to play with them. (eat/mutilate them) :-(

Don't have any cats, but I'll keep that in mind. The GF's been bugging me about getting one ???.

I bought 25 Mimosa seeds from an online vendor. Should be getting them any day now. Hopefully within a week or so I'll have 10 seedlings- I hear they germinate quickly.

awesome thing about eucalyptus or maybe not so awesome based on perspective is when they capture on flame while on flame those charming fragrant sebum that we love about them so much begin to steam inside the shrub footwear until the shrub pops open and the oil grabs fire instant napalm action.....

Back