What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coffe for Other CP?

I have read posts about people using coffe with Neps but has anyone tried it with other CP like Sarracenia or fly traps. Just got a couple from lowes for fun and was wondeing if I can use the last little bit of coffe to water them and give them a little boost.

I've been mixing coffee grounds in with my peat for my sars. It's been working fine.

Sarracenia - yes. I might be sparing with the VFTs though. I sometimes feed my outdoor plants a nasty muck of black tea and other tannins, to which I also add my leftover coffee from treating my Neps. The VFTs haven't specifically objected, but my VFTs only get it secondhand through sitting in the trays where the Sarrs drain. I seem to remember hearing that they're one genus that's less tolerant of added fertilizers. People also say they prefer fresh peat for the available nutrients, so I might be off. In any case, I always have trouble with competing weeds in my VFT pots, so I don't feel the need to hurry things along in there. Additionally, I'm bad with VFTs and just barely manage to clone back-up plants fast enough to replace the ones I kill, so take my advice lightly. :D
~Joe

Coffee

One can never have enough coffee :)

I have heard some promising things about adding dilute coffee to Heliamphora; but they have already responded very well to orchid fertilizers and don't require much else.

I would avoid applying it on Dionaea . . .

I tried it on one of my ceph's and within' the next month it pushed up 9 new pitchers..

Don't use it on VFT's. These guys do not like anything other than pure water for me. Hell, they'd rather take hard water for a couple weeks than one single feeding of anything. I'm down to my last VFT's that have been untouched by various experiments. I haven't lost anything due to these trials, the plants just need to be cleansed/repotted before they jump back into prime health.

Thanks for all the posts everyone. I will be using the last little bits of my morning coffe for my S. flava out on the porch this summer and as I get more as time goes on.

Thanks, Back2eight-I am going to start keeping some old grounds for mixing in the soil mix that I use for my replantings and see what happens I will try to take some photos when I get it rolling.

Massmorels-A picture is worth a thousand words but a leaf cutting to see for my self would be worth a millon "thank yous", Did you see any difference is the coloration of the new pitchers from the older ones after the coffe.

Has anyone tried using amino acids in Sarracenia pitchers? See my topic HERE for details on my trial with using them on Heliamphora.

Hey just a heads-up James; dry your grounds before storing or just make a pot of coffee before you get ready to make your Nep mix, because the wet stuff can mold something awful if you leave it alone damp for a while. You can get spent grounds from many Starbucks branches if you ask them; the one near my place actually bags them up and for a while had a display right next to their retail merchandise. If a sign hadn't said that it was free to take I would've thought they were trying to sell it.
~Joe

I read on an other forum that pygmy drosera's don't like it very much.

I tried it on a baby ceph and it stoppe growing for months. :/

Back